Cochin Thread!!!

how long did you keep her caged? it'll take up to a week or sometimes more for them to forget being broody.

also, if the scaly leg mite is bad enough, she may be staying in the nest simply because her feet hurt...

what i've done with mine, i just put them in the rooster coop. there are NO nest boxes, just a roof walls and roosts, and lots of roosters (ok well 4-6) with no other girls to pay attention to. LOL works every time. within 2-3 days she's forgotten all about broody and loving the attention. but i usually don't get eggs again for a few more weeks. it takes that long for her system to recover and get ready to lay again.

Mine took at least a 10 days in the cage before breaking out of her trance. Others, i have just given a single day old chick to to raise. i currently have 4 broodies, two raising new borns one on eggs, and one raising a single chick from one of the other moms.

They do like to go broody. Down to my last hen, my poor roo is looking worried, but he does enjoy looking after his first babies and their moms.

1st 3 pictures are of some birds I sold and am delivering in several weeks. The Buff Columbians are not sold but wanted to take a picture of them too. The last are my Birchen hen and a late hatch Birchen pullet from last fall.

Last edited:
I am trying to narrow down which of these four roosters I should keep as my "backup rooster" based on type. They were hatched Oct 27, so are about 3 1/2 months old. My main rooster is a very nice black mottled boy from Matt McCammon. I'd like to keep a second one around just in case something happens to him. I think the blue probably has some sort of tan looking leakage that rules him out but I'm not sure if that is how he is supposed to look since he is my first blue mottled rooster. None of the black mottled have any leakage, and all four have nice yellow fully feathered feet. Which of these four would you keep if trying to breed for type?

Rooster #1

Rooster #2

Rooster #3

Rooster #4

I am trying to narrow down which of these four roosters I should keep as my "backup rooster" based on type. They were hatched Oct 27, so are about 3 1/2 months old. My main rooster is a very nice black mottled boy from Matt McCammon. I'd like to keep a second one around just in case something happens to him. I think the blue probably has some sort of tan looking leakage that rules him out but I'm not sure if that is how he is supposed to look since he is my first blue mottled rooster. None of the black mottled have any leakage, and all four have nice yellow fully feathered feet. Which of these four would you keep if trying to breed for type?

Rooster #1

Rooster #2

Rooster #3

Rooster #4
I like #4 the best the other two mottleds are a bit narrow and leggy. I see the eye color on all of them looks light, but that seems to come with age. The description calls for a reddish bay eye, but my best description would be dark orange/almost red. I can't tell what their wings look like without them being spread but they don't look bad for males. The heads on the first 2 bother me. I don't know if it's the combs or if they have a long narrow head.
The blue rooster you have is way too light and does have gold leakage. I would not recommend breeding him.
In my opinion #4 is your best and I would use him for breeding. Hope this helps you :)

1st 3 pictures are of some birds I sold and am delivering in several weeks. The Buff Columbians are not sold but wanted to take a picture of them too. The last are my Birchen hen and a late hatch Birchen pullet from last fall.

Craig, how lovely your girls (and boys) are. Are the Birchens for sale? If so I would be VERY interested in the last girl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom