Cochin Thread!!!

Cockerel # 4 is by far you best bird. He's the most correct in comb points, beak length, and type. Would like to see his eye a little redder and wings tucked up more. If he's a dark blue mottled then you won't need cockerel #3 to keep the blue mottleds going. I would place them 4, 3, 1, 2. The reasons I placed #2 last are: brown eyes, 3 point comb, long beak, and lack of feathers around the legs.

Have a good weekend,
Russ

Thanks for the feedback - #4 was my pick as well but I am so new at this I just needed my choice reaffirmed. I have your lovely blue mottled pullet Mandy, so am not as concerned about keeping the blue cockeral now. I was pretty bummed when his feathers started growing in with the golden tinge since I had been spending lots of time handling him trying to keep him friendly. #4 is also the nicest personality-wise, so I am glad he also has the nicest type. He is a little ham. I suppose I will have to come up with a better name than "Fatty" since I will be keeping him now, haha. He has always been a fluffball compared to the others.

Thanks for the feedback - #4 was my pick as well but I am so new at this I just needed my choice reaffirmed. I have your lovely blue mottled pullet Mandy, so am not as concerned about keeping the blue cockeral now. I was pretty bummed when his feathers started growing in with the golden tinge since I had been spending lots of time handling him trying to keep him friendly. #4 is also the nicest personality-wise, so I am glad he also has the nicest type. He is a little ham. I suppose I will have to come up with a better name than "Fatty" since I will be keeping him now, haha. He has always been a fluffball compared to the others.

He and the blue mottled will make beautiful chicks :)

lau.gif
ok I'll prepare for a few...I just love the look of them and have heard how lovable they are! I REALLY hope I can get my hands on at least one!!
fl.gif
I got 3 PQ cochin bantam hens in late summer. They weren't anything special quality wise but I thought they were great. I have one of them left still. Then I found a pair of white cochin bantams in December, spent a good amount of money on them and haven't regretted that decision once! The rooster is awesome (in my avatar). He has such a personality. By far the most personable out of my flock of 11 Silkies and 3 Cochins.
My rooster literally follows me around. The best one so far was when I let my chickens out in the yard to scratch around for a little bit. I walked in the barn, stopped to talk to someone, turned around to go back to the chickens and here comes Beaker around the corner! Running full speed right at me. I just about died laughing.
gig.gif
It was such a sight, watching his little legs and all those feathers motoring..and the wings flapping too! LOL He left his flock when he heard me and decided to come see what I was doing, I think. He's really something.

So, you should definitely get some bantam cochins! They're great. But so are the silkies. I think I still like them better but wouldn't want to give up the cochins.
big_smile.png

Cockerel # 4 is by far you best bird. He's the most correct in comb points, beak length, and type. Would like to see his eye a little redder and wings tucked up more. If he's a dark blue mottled then you won't need cockerel #3 to keep the blue mottleds going. I would place them 4, 3, 1, 2. The reasons I placed #2 last are: brown eyes, 3 point comb, long beak, and lack of feathers around the legs.

Have a good weekend,
Russ

Wow! See I am learning little. I picked #4 then #3 too!

I am trying to narrow down which of these four roosters I should keep as my "backup rooster" based on type. They were hatched Oct 27, so are about 3 1/2 months old. My main rooster is a very nice black mottled boy from Matt McCammon. I'd like to keep a second one around just in case something happens to him. I think the blue probably has some sort of tan looking leakage that rules him out but I'm not sure if that is how he is supposed to look since he is my first blue mottled rooster. None of the black mottled have any leakage, and all four have nice yellow fully feathered feet. Which of these four would you keep if trying to breed for type?

Rooster #4
I like #4. for the same reasons posted above, plus, he's got the cutest face. LOL

I like #4. for the same reasons posted above, plus, he's got the cutest face. LOL
Yeah, I had him in my sandbox brooder in the basement the first few months, and as soon as the lid was lifted in the slightest, he would hop up on the side to visit with me, the little cutie. I was trying hard not to get attached to him, because I thought the other two had a better chance of good type based on what pen they came from.

Yeah, I had him in my sandbox brooder in the basement the first few months, and as soon as the lid was lifted in the slightest, he would hop up on the side to visit with me, the little cutie. I was trying hard not to get attached to him, because I thought the other two had a better chance of good type based on what pen they came from.

Now that's cute! Love the foot feathers.
big_smile.png

What color is he?

Back
Top Bottom