Cochin Thread!!!

I was wondering if someone could tell me what color my L/F cochin pullet is. She is about 10 weeks old. Also I dont plan on showing or breeding, but opinions of her would be welcome. Kind opinions haha. (She's from a hatchery.)
She's a pretty blue Cochin. I've seen worse type on non-hatchery birds, so you've got a nice bird.

I have my low pressure waterers installed and working. Gravity fed with max of 5 ft above waterers.

1 They work well after fine tuning. Several leaked-dripped and needed to get parts swapped out.

2. Do not over tighten. I read the instructions and knew not to over tighten but still broke 2 cage brackets that caused leaks. No fixing that so consider them fragile while installing. No bird will damage them after installation.

3. Trying to figure out best way to keep algae growth down in the tank.

4. Birds picked up how to use it very quickly

5. Made all tubing go down hill so will be easy to drain for winter.

6. I used a 35 gallon tank I had for water. I only keep 10 gallons in it max until I know I will be gone for a while. Then I will fill it. Want to keep water fresh. So far no birds have crapped in the water cups so it is much more sanitary than my old waterers. Cups come off easily for cleaning.

I ran all waterers off of one trunk line. Quite easy to do but is not a fast process.

1 waterer would be enough for any pen. I chose to put 2 in each pen so that there would always be 1 working. Easiest way to insure no deaths in heat due to no water source working was to install a redundant system.

Last edited:
I have my low pressure waterers installed and working. Gravity fed with max of 5 ft above waterers. 1 They work well after fine tuning. Several leaked-dripped and needed to get parts swapped out. 2. Do not over tighten. I read the instructions and knew not to over tighten but still broke 2 cage brackets that caused leaks. No fixing that so consider them fragile while installing. No bird will damage them after installation. 3. Trying to figure out best way to keep algae growth down in the tank. 4. Birds picked up how to use it very quickly 5. Made all tubing go down hill so will be easy to drain for winter. 6. I used a 35 gallon tank I had for water. I only keep 10 gallons in it max until I know I will be gone for a while. Then I will fill it. Want to keep water fresh. So far no birds have crapped in the water cups so it is much more sanitary than my old waterers. Cups come off easily for cleaning. I ran all waterers off of one trunk line. Quite easy to do but is not a fast process. 1 waterer would be enough for any pen. I chose to put 2 in each pen so that there would always be 1 working. Easiest way to insure no deaths in heat due to no water source working was to install a redundant system.
How many chickens do you have?

I have my low pressure waterers installed and working. Gravity fed with max of 5 ft above waterers.

1 They work well after fine tuning. Several leaked-dripped and needed to get parts swapped out.

2. Do not over tighten. I read the instructions and knew not to over tighten but still broke 2 cage brackets that caused leaks. No fixing that so consider them fragile while installing. No bird will damage them after installation.

3. Trying to figure out best way to keep algae growth down in the tank.

4. Birds picked up how to use it very quickly

5. Made all tubing go down hill so will be easy to drain for winter.

6. I used a 35 gallon tank I had for water. I only keep 10 gallons in it max until I know I will be gone for a while. Then I will fill it. Want to keep water fresh. So far no birds have crapped in the water cups so it is much more sanitary than my old waterers. Cups come off easily for cleaning.

I ran all waterers off of one trunk line. Quite easy to do but is not a fast process.

1 waterer would be enough for any pen. I chose to put 2 in each pen so that there would always be 1 working. Easiest way to insure no deaths in heat due to no water source working was to install a redundant system.

What a great idea Craig. i am going to try a smaller version of this when i build my housed run in the next few months. Got tired of locking up my coop every night, so going to section off half my garden and build them a massive run. I can use this idea and put the watering cups throughout.

Do you have a close up of the water cups?

Glad to see a trio of Columbians there. I am really struggling to find some for myself!

How many chickens do you have?
I have never counted until now. 2 Barred,5 Black, 5 Buff Columbian, 2 Birchen, 12 Columbians, 3 Gold Laced,1 Mottled, 3 Silver Laced, 8 Silver Penciled, 6 Partridge, 3 Smooth whites, 2 Frizzled Whites, and several Improvement project birds. All of those are breeders or saved to be for next year. Over 200 chicks from 1 day to 6-7 weeks in brooders. 3 more weeks of hatching and I am done for the year.

All are recognized ABA varieties. I do raise to show and also some for preservation of the rarer varieties.

What a great idea Craig. i am going to try a smaller version of this when i build my housed run in the next few months. Got tired of locking up my coop every night, so going to section off half my garden and build them a massive run. I can use this idea and put the watering cups throughout.

Glad to see a trio of Columbians there. I am really struggling to find some for myself!

Pictures of the cup and all accessories needed at http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page435.htm

I am using the same water system for mine My birds picked up on how to use them pretty quik also I have a water tank inside with a float valve in it which shuts off when the water reaches a certain point and it has a hose from the bottom of it going to each pen The water to the tank comes from the water bib outside I have maybe 2 feet above the pens for the water to fill their cups So far no problems other than the breaking of a piece or 2 Glad I found these they are really a time saver I had thought about the growing stuff in there also but I put a capfull of clorox in the water tank and that keeps it cleared out I have also heard that oxine will do the same thing

I am using the same water system for mine My birds picked up on how to use them pretty quik also I have a water tank inside with a float valve in it which shuts off when the water reaches a certain point and it has a hose from the bottom of it going to each pen The water to the tank comes from the water bib outside I have maybe 2 feet above the pens for the water to fill their cups So far no problems other than the breaking of a piece or 2 Glad I found these they are really a time saver I had thought about the growing stuff in there also but I put a capfull of clorox in the water tank and that keeps it cleared out I have also heard that oxine will do the same thing

Thank you. Will try bleach. Really is a time saver!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom