Cochin Thread!!!

Could anyone tell me the highest I can put a roost for bantam cochins? I currently have my roosts in a step setup, the lowest about 18" from the floor but I would like to switch to a single perch all the way across the 8' coop with a poop board under. I would like to put it as high as possible, but still be able to make the jump.
mine all perch on the highest roost, and there are a couple staggered areas for them to jump to before going further up... my top roosts are about 4-5' up. only the babies and some lower totem pole birds don't go to the top.

About how big/heavy does a bantam cochin pullet/hen get? Mine are 15 weeks old and barely more than a pound. Also, about when do they start laying? I just noticed this evening that their combs and face seem to be turning a darker red.

About how big/heavy does a bantam cochin pullet/hen get? Mine are 15 weeks old and barely more than a pound. Also, about when do they start laying? I just noticed this evening that their combs and face seem to be turning a darker red
Well, i'd say 'bout a year old they should start laying, my first cochin took longer bc she didn't lay in the Winter, then she started laying when it got warmer.

Last edited:
This is my ever curious four week old buff cochin named Puffzilla
What a cutie!
bow.gif

mine all perch on the highest roost, and there are a couple staggered areas for them to jump to before going further up... my top roosts are about 4-5' up. only the babies and some lower totem pole birds don't go to the top.
I ended up placing my single perch about 24 inches off the floor without shavings. Unfortunately, I seem to have one pullet that cannot make the jump. She is broody though, so hopefully that will change or I'll have to move the whole thing down a few more inches.
barnie.gif
I know I have had cochins jump all the way into the flower boxes to eat my plants, so I guess it does differ a lot bird to bird.

About how big/heavy does a bantam cochin pullet/hen get? Mine are 15 weeks old and barely more than a pound. Also, about when do they start laying? I just noticed this evening that their combs and face seem to be turning a darker red.
1315708807.jpg
Cochin Breed Characteristics
Bantams - .
Weight:
Cock: 30 oz Hen: 26 oz
Cockerel: 26 oz Pullet: 24oz

At 15 weeks yours are right on track. Cochins do not grow as quickly as some other breeds. A pullet is under 1 and a hen is 1 and older

Back
Top Bottom