Cochin Thread!!!

Going thru some boxes today I found some photos Mr Duffy gave me many years ago..
Thought some of you might enjoy seeing them..
The first photo is Mr Duffy with Mr Harold Mckone's non bearded white silkie at the Jefferson county fair
The next photo is of Big Ben 2 in Mr Duffy's back yard..
Not sure if that is his famous black hen Liza.. may have been before her time..
Third photo is of Macarthur at the garden show..

For those of you who have not heard of Mr Alex Duffy he was a very famous and successful breeder of largefowl cochins and served on the board of directors of the Madison Square Garden show..

He raised big cochins for nearly 70 years until stray dogs destroyed the entire flock..

Last edited:
Going thru some boxes today I found some photos Mr Duffy gave me many years ago..
The first photo is Mr Duffy with Mr Harold Mckone's non bearded white silkie at the Jefferson county fair

For those of you who have not heard of Mr Alex Duffy he was a very famous and successful breeder of largefowl cochins and served on the board of directors of the Madison Square Garden show..

He raised big cochins for nearly 70 years until stray dogs destroyed the entire flock..

THANK YOU! I really enjoy those pictures.
love.gif

THANK YOU! I really enjoy those pictures.
love.gif

You're certainly welcome..
I like your building.. seeing those individual coops makes feel better about my using expanded metal for a floor in my 8x16 open front coops..
I made slide out trays out of 4x8 sheets of OSB. Every 3 or 4 months I slide them out and scrape off the poop. birds stay super clean.

You're certainly welcome..
I like your building.. seeing those individual coops makes feel better about my using expanded metal for a floor in my 8x16 open front coops..
I made slide out trays out of 4x8 sheets of OSB. Every 3 or 4 months I slide them out and scrape off the poop. birds stay super clean.

My vinyl coated wire was the best thing I have done for my birds. 1 x 1 is good for the males. My hens don't do as well on it. I need to get some 3/4 x 3/4 vinyl for a few cages and see how that works. I clean my bang boards at 2 week intervals and sometimes more often during the bad fly times. Only takes a few minutes once I figured out to use a 10" wide drywall spatula as my scraper. Works well and scrapes quickly.

Quote:
questions on cages... do you use them for breeding? how big are they and how many birds in each? and do you offer roosts or just standing on wire? oh and do you offer a nest box or just bare wire on the floor?

My cages are 2' x 2' square. 4 sq ft per bird or 1 bird in each cage. I mostly AI so no they are not for breeding. I also have show cages set up that have solid bottoms and I use chips on those. Those are only used to train young birds not for long term conditioning. I do not have nest boxes in any cage because I only cage my males. Hens are kept together by variety in large pens. There is a link in my forum signature with pictures from my new building that will show it well.

This is fantastic that you have photos of Duffy and his birds - he was THE Cochin Master in his day, and still is considered one of the best. Thanx for sharing!!!

Back
Top Bottom