Cochin Thread!!!

Getting a bunch of New cochins for my projects this Saturday. I can't wait :D my newest most awesome project is a silkied frizzle cochin :D :celebrate I am so beyond happy about getting him. Also getting some gorgeous bantam blues, maybe some more MF and hopefully some mottleds.

ETA: forgot I am also getting a silver laced pair :weee

Last edited:
Getting a bunch of New cochins for my projects this Saturday. I can't wait
big_smile.png
my newest most awesome project is a silkied frizzle cochin
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif
I am so beyond happy about getting him. Also getting some gorgeous bantam blues, maybe some more MF and hopefully some mottleds.
ETA: forgot I am also getting a silver laced pair
wee.gif
where are you getting the silver laced from?

I got my eggs in the mail today! I ordered 18, recieved 20, and NONE are broken!
yesss.gif
I thought cochins layed white eggs?? these are all tinted, some pale and more white, some tinted, and some definately cream. I should wait till tomorrow to put them in so they can settle from shipping, right? But do I leave them sitting straight up & down? Or should I keep rocking them back & forth every several hours?

Congratulations!

You should rest them pointed end down in an egg carton without moving them. This way they can "rest" in case they were shaken up in transit.

Cochins most defiantly do not lay white eggs. Shades of light brown are what you will see. I even have one blue girl who lays a medium brown.

I got my eggs in the mail today! I ordered 18, recieved 20, and NONE are broken!
yesss.gif
I thought cochins layed white eggs?? these are all tinted, some pale and more white, some tinted, and some definately cream. I should wait till tomorrow to put them in so they can settle from shipping, right? But do I leave them sitting straight up & down? Or should I keep rocking them back & forth every several hours?
I set them in the auto turner right away (in case they started cooking because of the heat during shipping) but do NOT turn them until 3-4 days. that way if there's any air cell damage it may have a chance to heal up some.

as for color, my cochins usually lay a light brown egg, tho a few do lay nearly white.

Could be. But I never have seen this with my chickens. They always go to bed when its getting dark.
I'm new to the chicken world but my chickens don't put them selves to bed they are 11 and 7 weeks old.When we first put them outside we kept them in there house for two days as we where told to do this that it would teach them to come back home at night. They did for awhile but all the sudden they stopped even at dark they stay outside
barnie.gif
.Do you know why or how I can get them to go to bed on there own.Thanks
smile.png

OK well I managed to snap a couple more pics today...

wondering if anyone's encountered 'sun bleaching' of their birds... here's a pic of my blue mottled guy, today and the day I got him for comparison. yes he REALLY is a blue. LOL

one thing I have noticed, free ranging seems to have improved his wing carriage... he's actually a pretty good flyer (if you count downhill gliding 'flying' LOL)

and then a pic of a couple of my red chicklets. the cockerel and one of the pullets. and another overhead view of the cockerel... they just turned 4 months old and still have some filling in to do. think there's any hope for type or is it too soon to ask?

Love the color on these guys

Back
Top Bottom