Cochin Thread!!!

Okay guys here are my 4 month old standard cochins. I am only keeping one of the black boys, and although they are young, I'm hoping you all can help me decide. There are two of the boys.

The 4 month old girls

My big guy Blueberry

And lavender and Cinder, her splash baby. Shes still sitting on that egg. Its day 24. I think it has to be no good.

Okay guys here are my 4 month old standard cochins. I am only keeping one of the black boys, and although they are young, I'm hoping you all can help me decide. There are two of the boys.

I like this boy. I like his more rounded tail feathers. I do not know how to tell differences in quality though so you probably should wait for more opinions.

And lavender and Cinder, her splash baby. Shes still sitting on that egg. Its day 24. I think it has to be no good.

Aww...so cute. Her egg is probably no good. I candled my remaining three and listened carefully and one is a slow hatcher. I am not sure if it will hatch, it has pipped but Jewel was done sitting today and I had to keep directing her to the egg. She is on it for the night so I am hoping it will be able to hatch.

You have very lovely Cochins.

Aww...so cute. Her egg is probably no good. I candled my remaining three and listened carefully and one is a slow hatcher. I am not sure if it will hatch, it has pipped but Jewel was done sitting today and I had to keep directing her to the egg. She is on it for the night so I am hoping it will be able to hatch.

You have very lovely Cochins.

Thanks!!! Im glad you got some cute chicks. Im sad about the other egg, but Cinder and Lavender seem content with each other. I think Lavender needs a dust bath! Can Cinder go out with her yet? Or is she still too little? Since shes alone, she will have to go with momma to dust bathe.

Thanks!!! Im glad you got some cute chicks. Im sad about the other egg, but Cinder and Lavender seem content with each other. I think Lavender needs a dust bath! Can Cinder go out with her yet? Or is she still too little? Since shes alone, she will have to go with momma to dust bathe.

I am new to all this. Jewel is my first broody but she is living with my flock. So far all the other chickens respect her and as soon as she tells them to back off they back off. I do not have a heat lamp in there, they are in the coop. Today Jewel was stir crazy and wondered around the coop with her chicks and everyone seemed fine. When the 2 youngest would get cold they would peep and she would sit with them until they warmed up. I think it will not be a problem for her to go out with her. If you are taking her in with the flock to dust bathe make sure the others chickens do not try to get rough with Cynder. Lavender will probably not allow that to happen but just to be safe you may want to supervise. The oldest chick did not seem to get cold, I believe Cynder hatched the same day as my oldest chick. I was told to watch mine carefully because of the age difference she may want to take them on adventures and the younger ones may get cold. If this happen I am going to set up a warming area with a heat lamp they can sit under. Hope this helps. Sorry about your second egg.

Last edited:
Not sure if you saw my post before about your egg kabhyper1 but this is the youtube video I was mentioning about egg hatching. Someone from BYC had a double yolk egg that both yolks became fertile and the chicks were in the egg too tight and couldn't get out themselves so she very carefully hatched them herself. They ended up being one boy one girl.

video quote:
"Update 3/15/14 These chickens were fine and were sold to a friend of mine. They were normal and the hen was a great egg layer!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZeEY-kt7A

video comments quote:
Rachel Nabors

6 months ago

"First off, people freaking out about the assisted hatching: I used to raise chickens. Sometimes you need to assist them hatching. If the humidity levels aren't right during incubation (nearly impossible to achieve 100% of the time in a small incubator like this one), the birds can have trouble getting out of the eggs. There were years where the only reason I had birds was because I went in after them if they didn't hatch within 12 hours of pipping (poking their beak through the shell). When I didn't assist, I'd have shells filled with perfectly formed yet dead chicks.

Secondly, I have NEVER seen or heard of a double yolk hatching before! I'm amazed! Usually double yolkers don't form well and die young. To have two birds come from one egg is incredible!"

If they can do it themselves most definitely let them but sometimes they do need a bit of help but it is dangerous because they can bleed to death if you break a blood vessel in the egg. Congratulations on the chick you got it is very cute! Those Roo's of yours are beautiful birds as well. That chick should be just fine out with mom. Lavender looks like a very dedicated girl and I'm sure she will take very good care of Cinder.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom