Cochin Thread!!!

I picked up these two cuties earlier today and the woman told me they were both pullets, just one is older giving it the bigger comb/wattles. I am new to the whole backyard chicken thing so I didn't think anything of it, but not I feel that my gut was right and I have a roo and pullet. Also no idea how old they are. She said the little one is about 3 months and I can't remember how old she said the bigger one was. What do you think?

Oh yea u deff got 1 roo and 1 pullet age idk, givin that one is a too and 1 is s pullet but I think they are the same age.

My partridge chicks I believe if I remember correctly was a dark reddish brown with stripes. But usually I have solids mottleds or calicos hatch here with a few partridge so don't 100% remember.

But I do have 1 partridge hen and her mottled partridge daughter.

Yeah mine all run to dark brown, with the heads almost a cinnamon color. That goes by the wayside when they start to feather in. My cockerels are going to a deep mahogany on the back, with nicely penciled hackles in an orangy brown, the pullets are the same minus the mahogany back feathers. One pullet right now is lighter colored than the others, more of a gold orange color, but not near as light colored as Sunshine. I'm really interested in seeing how her feathering develops.

Last edited:
Not all pet birds are perfect. However they are all loved. I understand the purpose for a standard. I don't understand putting fellow chicken lovers down for maybe having some that aren't. We should be supportive of each other. So, If someone wants to get crappy about birds that they personally find offensive, then maybe they need to start their own thread. One where only birds that are perfect are allowed.

That thread would be a very lonely place. As there are very few completely to standard Cochins, and no bird is perfect.

My birds have flaws. I wouldn't kill them just because they weren't born perfectly to standard. They can't help it. They don't know. If you are truly an animal lover you wouldn't care if they have imperfections. You would love them anyway.
I suppose some people are only in it for the competition and the notoriety. I'm sad for those people. If that's all they want, then get into a hobby that doesn't involve living things. No offense meant to anyone, but I have little tolerance for snobbery.

I raise chickens for meat and eggs. Eggs look pretty much the same when you break them, and chickens look pretty similar after they're plucked, so appearance doesn't score high in my book. If they are healthy, they're all good with me.

Not all pet birds are perfect. However they are all loved. I understand the purpose for a standard. I don't understand putting fellow chicken lovers down for maybe having some that aren't. We should be supportive of each other. So, If someone wants to get crappy about birds that they personally find offensive, then maybe they need to start their own thread. One where only birds that are perfect are allowed.

That thread would be a very lonely place. As there are very few completely to standard Cochins, and no bird is perfect.

My birds have flaws. I wouldn't kill them just because they weren't born perfectly to standard. They can't help it. They don't know. If you are truly an animal lover you wouldn't care if they have imperfections. You would love them anyway.
I suppose some people are only in it for the competition and the notoriety. I'm sad for those people. If that's all they want, then get into a hobby that doesn't involve living things. No offense meant to anyone, but I have little tolerance for snobbery.

VERY WELL SAID, I AGREE 100%!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom