Cochin Thread!!!

Has anyone with LF experience noticed the Cochins have more leg issues than other breeds?I worry my male will not be as "busy" next spring as I hope. He has a dislocated knee and gets around well bit has his limits. He flies out of coop and has yet to climb the ramp back in at night. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, so due to some misunderstanding on my side - newbie error - I now have a bantam Cochin roo and three standard girls, and I was wondering if it ok to keep them together and what I might expect from crosses with the two?

Has anyone with LF experience noticed the Cochins have more leg issues than other breeds?I worry my male will not be as "busy" next spring as I hope. He has a dislocated knee and gets around well bit has his limits. He flies out of coop and has yet to climb the ramp back in at night. Any suggestions?
I've never had any experience with this, maybe because I only have bantams. Is it possible to put it back in place?

Hi everyone, so due to some misunderstanding on my side - newbie error - I now have a bantam Cochin roo and three standard girls, and I was wondering if it ok to keep them together and what I might expect from crosses with the two?
It should be just fine. If it was the other way around it would be dangerous. You could end up with very large bantams or small large fow.

I would think your girls would be happier than with a LF rooster, all my bantam cochin roosters are wonderful with their hens, they tend to them and are gentle with their mating compared to a LF. It may take him a bit until he learns to hit his mark. The offspring would be adorable, though probably not as good of layers and prone to broodiness.

@lilcrow thanks, I guess I'll keep them all together and then later add some LF and bantams for each and separate the flocks
@oldhenlikesdogs that sounds great, might just keep to bantams then

Last edited:
@lilcrow, I tried repeatedly to get his leg stretched and back in place but no luck. Other chicken owners I spoken to said they can get along fine like this they just slower than others. He has finally figured out how to get in and out of the coop without walking on the ramp. He flies instead!

This is a photo of two of my 3 mo old LF silver laced cochins. I am new to this breed.
I suspect that the one in front might be a rooster, although I ordered only pullets.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

This is a photo of two of my 3 mo old LF silver laced cochins. I am new to this breed.
I suspect that the one in front might be a rooster, although I ordered only pullets.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

If I were a betting man, which I am not, I'd bet you were right.
hu.gif
But hope we're both wrong.

Back
Top Bottom