Cochin Thread!!!

Jon,.....(Irish Ridge),

I suspect that Welp Hatchery gets some of its chicks from Privett Hatchery in Portales, New Mexico, although I do not know this for sure. I have also thought of getting chicks from Welp Hatchery. It seems that they have a GOOD REPUTATION.....although they are limited in their varieties and seem to "specialize" in meat-birds such as Cornish X.
(Their prices seem reasonable, also.)

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Cochin hens (large fowl) weigh about 7-8 lbs, roosters weigh 10-12. Our roo probably weighs about 11 lbs. He's put on weight since we got him. The old saying "He's not fat, he's fluffy" kind of applies to cochins. They are fat AND fluffy. It takes some heft to pick him up. I've picked up the neighbor's golden comet rooster and he only weighs a fraction of our cochin.

DH joked about getting a leash for Fred our cochin roo to take him for a walk over to see the neighbor hens. We joked that the hens would be all over him. Fred would be like Barry White or "Chef" from South Park (Isaac Hayes), big, dark and handsome while their rooster is just a typical skinny white guy

Went to the Cement, OK auction Saturday and picked up a little grey and white Cochin pullet, never seen anything like her. Would she be a splash that I've been hearing about (I don't know a whole lot about differant colors beyond the basics yet lol.) Sorry I can't post pics, she's pretty though. Also, how do you pronounce that for sure? I keep pronouncing it like caught-chin, but I've also heard people say coach-in. So what's right?

Back
Top Bottom