Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
Here is a pic of my first blue barred cockerel taken some time ago - he's molting here, and not in the greatest position for a photo, but it will give you an idea:

20890_cochinbarredblueroo.jpg

ETA: (P.S. This was taken in my "batchelor pen", so disregard the other males in the pic!)

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanx Kat! That helps a lot. I'm still trying to get a better grasp of the sex-linked gene, but as long as I just start with one good pair of (black) barred, all offspring are barred and future generations should be barred - correct? I guess what I'm wondering is, do I really need to be concerned with the fact that the Barred gene is sex-linked if all I want to do is continue breeding for black barred?

Quote:
Thanx Kat! That helps a lot. I'm still trying to get a better grasp of the sex-linked gene, but as long as I just start with one good pair of (black) barred, all offspring are barred and future generations should be barred - correct? I guess what I'm wondering is, do I really need to be concerned with the fact that the Barred gene is sex-linked if all I want to do is continue breeding for black barred?

As far as sex-linking...it only plays a part when crossing barred hens to a solid colored rooster. If you just cross barred to barred you will always get barred.

In the same way that you can create Black sex link large fowl birds by crossing Barred rock hens X RIR roosters (etc). It works the same way in cochins. I crossed my Barred Cochin hens with a RIR rooster and created sex linked cochin crosses. The hen was black with red on her neck and the roosters were all barred.

If you were just wanting to create broodies or something of that sort, it would be a great way to breed pure cochins and not have to "waste" time and feed on boys. Cull them straight out of the incubator.

I currently have a blue cochin rooster I could cross over barred cochin hens........if I ever get around to splitting them into their own flock.

Interestingly enough.......and completely off topic. My sex linked RIR/Cochin mixes were interesting. I had 4 hatch.....3 boys and 1 girl.

You can see the boys here, they are the barred guys. I got rid of them pretty soon after that pix was taken.

24277_downsized_0429002018.jpg

The girl is HUGE and went broody right around 30 weeks. She is doing a great job of taking over a staggered bunch of eggs, hatching out a baby a day....and then not killing me when I steal that baby away and give it to one of my bantam cochin broodies who has chicks already.

downsized_1023001918.jpg

Here is the pure bantam cochin hen (mixed colors) who is taking the babies. Good broody so far.
24277_1103001930.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I love the black barred. I am going to do an small experiment and cross them onto white, my males are too dark and I would also like to put a little more larger size and more fluff on them(I like my girls but my males need work). It will take me a couple of years to see if there is going to be any improvements. I talked to a cochin breeder and he told me about breeding to white and how to do it.

Quote:
Ok Steve, as long as you replied, what would you do with this guy? He's my barred split to silkied rooster that came from your eggs. What do you make of the solid black feathers?

20890_cochinbarredroo.jpg

Interestingly, his mate (same clutch) doesn't have any solid colored feathers:

20890_cochinbarred.jpg

Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome Coopa!!! And Steve is right - barred x barred = barred, but males *should* be double factor barred from a barred x barred breeding - they'll be lighter in color than single factor barred males (which would come from a barred x non barred breeding). Double factor barred males will produce 100% barred offspring of both sexes, no matter what color their mate is. Single factor barred males x non barred female = 50% barred of both sexes, 50% non barred of both sexes. Females are always single factor barred, so non barred male x barred female = barred males, non barred females.

Love the blue barred. He's beatiful!!!

do cochins actually come in crele or was that just an example you gave?

Back
Top Bottom