Cochin Thread!!!

I am so excited!!! I just got my 4 new lavenders from Austin Hart in CA today (my Christmas present to myself
love.gif
). I get to start my lavender project now!! Now I need to find some nice SQ blacks to start my project!!
Thanks Austin!!
67387_austinspics10-17-10057.jpg
67387_austinspics10-17-10047.jpg

67387_photo1.jpg
love.gif
I'm so happy!!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Definitely Black. I wouldn't use Blue to improve the type. You would be introducing a different dilution factor, that will mess up your expected results. Definitely Black.

Quote:
It needs to be black I believe, since lavender is a dilute of black. I KNOW you can't use blue, that's an entirely different genetic code. If you're going to out cross, make sure you get the best you can get your hands on. There are a LOT of really nice blacks out there, so you should be able to find a beautiful black to use.
Nancy

Quote:
Congrats on your new birds! I got LF GLCs from Roland Doerr, and Blacks from Tom Roebuck this year. We would love to see pics of your birds.

I, too, breed and show dogs (Dobes and ACDs). I grew up not far from the Gasows (?sp) in MI, who had the best English Springers around. Dr. Gasow was our vet.

Good luck with your birds. Maybe we'll see you in Indy this fall.
smile.png

I'm really enjoying this thread and seeing everybodies birds. I only have hatchery quality cochins, i would love to breed to show but i can't have roosters where i'm at. i just have to keep saying one day.

Quote:
Honestly, our cochin rooster doesn't crow that much and half the time the neighbor's gold comet and RIR roos get him going.

If you were to get a cochin roo without any other nearby roosters, he might be pretty quiet
hide.gif
wink.png

Hey guys! I have 5 little pekin mixes that im trying to sex. One is definatly a roo, very red comb and wattles but the others im not too sure on. I posted some photos on the "what gender" section but thought I would post here too and get your experienced opinions!

Ok so here we are at 5.5 weeks old! The photos arnt the best, they just wouldnt keep still!

Pingu, I believe is a pullet and so do most others. Do you agree?
pinguweek5993x459.jpg

Raven, again I think its a pullet.
ravenweek5912x422.jpg

Then the tricky ones, but I believe and some others believe are roos. I really hope not!
fl.gif

Tilly
tillyweek5662x412.jpg

Yoko
yokoweek5687x385.jpg

So what do you guys think. Any reasons why you think a gender would be good too.

Thanks so much!

Quote:
First of all...those are either Silkie mixes or CochinXsilkies...

1. Hen, CochinXSilkie maybe?
2. Roo, Frizzled: CochinXEaster Egger
3. Humm...
hmm.png
Partridge Frizzled Roo
4. THAT IS A CUTE ROOSTER!
love.gif
Humm.. FrizzledX BrahmaX??? I dunno what!

We lost power do to a nasty storm last night and I was panicking because I had bantam BBS cochins due to hatch today and a ton of cochin eggs of varying colors due to hatch in the next few weeks in my incubator. Hubby hooked up three generators, one specifically for my incubator and brooders. Gotta love him! I have 6 beautiful little bantam BBS cochins that hatched. Only one didn't make it.
sad.png

We had no power from about 10pm last night until 6pm this evening. Thanks to hubby we lost no chicks except the one that was DIS.

I
love.gif
him. He's the best ever!!

I'll take pics once I get my equilibrium back.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom