Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
I hear ya!

I'd love to send some warm weather to you, but we need every little ray Mother Nature sends our way. Everytime I plan a weekend to start separating out pairs & trios, we go into another deep freeze!
barnie.gif
We're supposed to have great weather this weekend, but I have to check the extended and see what is headed our way next week.
fl.gif

The double mating system has real merit. I've been breeding large Partridge Cochins and Wyandottes for several years, and before I really knew exactly what to look for, I watched the pencilling on my females get worse as males got progressively better. I was selecting good males and mating them to what I hatched, which were progressively poorer females. This year, I have two males that are definitely pullet breeders. They have visible lacing on their breasts, which would be a big no-no in a show. I'll keep you updated, but I expect some nice female offspring this year. Maybe I'll even get a pic or two taken
smile.png

The point is that it is worth your time to figure out and read what people know about double mating. If you don't keep enough breeding pens, you will eventually do what I did by just reading the standard and trying to do what it says! It's a showman's bible, not a breeder's bible!

This thread moves too fast! 3 pages in one day??? Wow. I'm glad Cochins are popular.

Quote:
Great Advice!!!! Thank you!!!

I hope you keep us all posted with your progress this spring. Good progression pics of the chicks as they age are always welcome and very beneficial for all of us.

Quote:
I have a trio. They are my sweetest birds, esp. the roo, and one pullet has very clear lacing. ( Is the feather pattern called lacing or something else?) I would like to learn more about breeding them too.
Update - just read rtroxel's answer and saw " penciling".
Looks like I'm going to need another pen since I love my roo's red and vermillion and Thelma's penciling. The pullets are Thelma and Louise since they insist on roosting on top of the coop every night even though the have nice roosts and boxes inside and Rudy is in there all by himself. Only during our bad snowstorm last month dod they sleep in the coop. I think I'll have to take some pics and post them. I really appreciate the standard but I like to see photos to fully understand what to look for.

Last edited:
Ok ya'll the Cochins have stole my heart.. I want to narrow my flock down to my Swedish flowers and bantam columbian Cochins... I have had a harder time locating the Columbian Cochins than the Swedish Flower hens.. I have three bantam cochin columbian splash splits. But the lady I got them from has sold off her Columbians at an auction..hmmm So if anyone can help me locate some Columbian cochins I would be sooooo happy.. These cochins really are the sweetest.. I love letting them out in the morning and they all run up to us like puppy dogs and follow us around for while.. I love it.. I was told all the chicks I hatched are roo's does any one see anything in this collage might be a hen?

GEDC0398-1.jpg

Thanks for the help..

Christal

I wish I could go through all of this thread and look at everyone's pictures. Maybe I can do it little by little and see them all. We are in our 3rd year of having these big buffs. They have been doing very good at the shows we go to!
80924_copy_of_img00135.jpg

Hi, Thanks for the good comments on the rooster. I have a picture of a hen here but it is not the best. Just inside her coop. These are the only cochins we have. I am hoping to get my numbers up a little better this year so I can select a little harder! We also have Phoenix large and bantam, Large White Leghorn and bantam black wyandotts.
80924_img00124.jpg

Sweet! They both appear to have nice clear buff color with no darkening. And for a LF, he appears to have a very nice cushion, holds his wing high, and has nice underfluff.
We have a couple of members here on the thread that work/show a lot with LF Buff and have some great ones, so I know you'll enjoy it here!

Back
Top Bottom