Cochin Thread!!!

WOO!
celebrate.gif
just paid for my Bantam Buff and Bantam Barred pairs from Tom!! Can't wait to get them!!!

Quote:
How old are the birds in the collage? Unfortunately, it does appear that they are all cockerels!
sad.png

cochinman2005 has Columbians - I have a pair from him (as well as some from another breeder that I hatched from shipped eggs), and Black Cochin Bantams has Columbians....there are a few more of us here on BYC (I had a list of people who had Columbians back when I was searching for them!), I'll come back and edit if I think of more. Msbear and Coopa Cabana - you guys don't have Columbians anymore, do you?

Here are some of mine - I just posted some of these pics a few pages back, so sorry for the repeat!
hide.gif

You're correct - I sold my Columbians to make more room for the GL's. Kind of like jumping from the frying pan into the fire! I'm not sure if Erin still has hers or not. Craig (Black Cochin Bantams) also has some very nice ones, and his original stock also came from Tom. He's working very diligently on them, as are you. I know he had some up for auction a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure if he still has any available. I'm pretty sure they were started stock (not eggs). There are also a couple more BYC members listed on the Breeders Directory with Columbians (see link in my sig line).

I'm a true backyard chicken owner - I have a townhouse in the city. We can have a few hens - no roosters, and bantams are best for me. I have a buff Brahma right now. I'm attracted to cochins because of their gentle temperments and tolerance to cooping. The fact that they are beautiful is a plus. Sure I wish they were better layers, but temperment is more important to me. I can't order chicks because you have to buy too many, and there's the risk of getting roosters - and boy is it hard to find someone with one pullet they are willing to sell! I'm trying to find a breeder of bantam Cochins in KY, preferably central KY. There are colors I like better than others, but in my position I can't be picky. I'm not looking for a show bird - just a nice girl with sound conformation. I corresponded with someone the next state over about one of her birds, but haven't heard back. Know of anyone I could contact?

Elinor's chicks :

I'm a true backyard chicken owner - I have a townhouse in the city. We can have a few hens - no roosters, and bantams are best for me. I have a buff Brahma right now. I'm attracted to cochins because of their gentle temperments and tolerance to cooping. The fact that they are beautiful is a plus. Sure I wish they were better layers, but temperment is more important to me. I can't order chicks because you have to buy too many, and there's the risk of getting roosters - and boy is it hard to find someone with one pullet they are willing to sell! I'm trying to find a breeder of bantam Cochins in KY, preferably central KY. There are colors I like better than others, but in my position I can't be picky. I'm not looking for a show bird - just a nice girl with sound conformation. I corresponded with someone the next state over about one of her birds, but haven't heard back. Know of anyone I could contact?

How far into Kentucky are you? I'm about 90 minutes north of Louisville and have some bantam cochins chicks from good stock that are old enough to sex, blue, black, and splash, both frizzled and smooth. Will have some smooth whites that aren't quite old enough to sex.

I plan to go to the swap at Shelbyville on the 26th and will be taking some chicks.​

Hi!

Just getting into the Cochins and I"M ALREADY ADDICTED! I recently bought a pair of bantam cochins - a black and a black mottled - OMG they are the sweetest birds and I've only had them two days! The Roo is just as sweet and gorgeous as can be of course the pullet is a little bit more cautious but will let you near her. The Roo just loves to be held and crooned to. Will have to post pics when I get them. I also have hatched som Blue Cochins and have a doz plus each of Partridge, SL and GL in the bator and keeping my fingers crossed they listed them as ST/Giant so we'll see what happens and how many hatch - having the hardest time keeping my humidity in two of the bators above forty - not sure why so I covered them with towels to see if that helps the humidity from escaping - have cotton balls, and natural sponges in all of them along with the water in the trays to help.

Hello to all the other Cochin people out there!
big_smile.png
wink.png
frow.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
to the Cochin Thread! Sound like you already have your hands full. As far as the humidity goes, you may want to post over on the Incubating forum - explain exactly what kind of incubator you have, etc.. Your particular climate can also factor in. I try to keep mine around 55-60 for incubating, and bump it to 75-80 for lockdown. I have two Genesis 1588's - one for incubating; one for lockdown/hatching.
You mentioned you have already hatched out some Blues - what was the humidity running then? i.e. is this a new problem, or did the Blues hatch with humidity at 40?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom