Cochin Thread!!!

I'll try to this afternoon, when I'm home from work.

"She" better be a "her"!
fl.gif

If barred Cochins are like any other barred bird I'm pretty sure it is a pullet. She definitely had darker barring and she feathered in quickly. Her barring isn't very distinct though, I'd almost call it more of a cuckoo color. That could just be due to poor quality though, right?

Quote:
Let Cochinman tell you. I'm not a barred/cuckoo expert. I think though that with the softer feathering, Cochins aren't quite are distinct as say a BR.

Just curious... I have this bantam and someone told me it was a partridge cochin. What do yall think. Also, it is only 2 weeks old and has a very prominent comb. It doesn't look to have any red, I was just wondering if this is normal for this type of chick or if it could be a roo... we would like it to be a roo, lol.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

88311_noname_side1.jpg

88311_noname_face1.jpg

88311_noname_face2.jpg

Quote:
Let Cochinman tell you. I'm not a barred/cuckoo expert. I think though that with the softer feathering, Cochins aren't quite are distinct as say a BR.

There are indeed large Barred Cochins. Typically, the barring, no matter how good/bad the type is not as well defined as you'll see on a Barred Plymouth Rock. They are normally a bit darker and the barring is muddier. If she is dark and feathered quickly, most likely a pullet. Barred Cockerels are slow to feather whether large or bantam.

Can someone tell me if this is and if so what type of cochin this is? It was my free chick in my Murray hatchery order. I ordered some mottled cochin bantams, they gave me an extra one of those as well as this little one. (all 27 made it here and through the night so that is awesome) This one is my favorite. I know they usually throw Roo's in as freebies but since it's a bantam does that mean I still have a 50/50 chance at a hen? (since they don't sex banties?)

it's more grey and silvery tipped on the wings and dark back.

29542_babychicks2-5.jpg

29542_babychicks2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I love the splash!

I love the Splash color on Cochins too, but my fiancée thinks they look "like crap".
hu.gif
tongue.gif

Just wait until I hatch a couple Splashes out of my Blue Mottled pen - I'm keeping them, and he's just gonna have to deal with it!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Are you having your wedding the day of the Portage show this fall. I will be very close on the way up and hope to see your Columbians. I don't have as many hatched as I had hoped to by this time but still have over 40 candled fertile Columbians eggs in the incubator and collecting eggs every day. Keep smiling!

Back
Top Bottom