Cochin Thread!!!

I'm looking for an exhibition quality pullet or hen in a black bantam cochin.

Long story. Years ago I had show chickens with the kids. My son's black bantam cochin, "Grumpy" won in every show he was in. We sold a number of his offspring, including a trio that went to my sister. When I moved to where I live now, we had no place for chickens, so I gave all our show chickens to my sister. Grumpy eventually died, but his son is still alive, although he is about 7 years old. I recently re-aquired Grumpy Jr. from my sister. She did not hatch chicks from him, but just kept him. The only hen she had died just recently.

I would like to get a really nice pullet or hen to put with Grumpy Jr. PM me to let me know if you have a great little hen or pullet that would help me out.

I didn't know where to put this, I saw some chick color questions on here so figured it might be the best place for answers. I have 2 chicks, Cochin bantams......I'm quite sure one is a mottled since the baby fuzz coloration is the same as my 2 mottleds that I already had. However this one is not as dark it's more of a charcoal color...perhaps a darker blue mottled? Second question, the other chick...maybe splash? I see white feathers coming in and some light silvery colored feathers too.....thoughts?
We have named the little mottled, Storm.
And Rain is the ?splash?
83755_shirts_005-resized.jpg

83755_shirts_014-resized.jpg

83755_shirts_024-resized.jpg

Quote:
I love the splash!

Some friends and breeders that have some LF splash - Such beautiful birds! I would like one for an incubator since I have bantams and don't have room for a flock of LF too. I do have a HUGE buff from then. I love her and the contrast with my little bantams is fun.

DixieChickie can you post another picture of that possibly blue mottled chick? I'm guessing your other chick is splash, but I have seen chicks that color feather out white....

OK...I have a question...recently hatched my first small batch of white Cochins bantams from a young pullet...one was not to well right out the shell and died about three days later...another barely made it past a week. The third is now a little over a month and doing well, but I'm a bit puzzled with it's wing feathers...they seem to be curving outwards like a frizzle. Now, I know that a frizzle can be thrown naturally on rare occasions, but I'm wondering if this is just normal Cochin baby feathers, or something else? both parents are smooth, though I don't know much about thier history past that, though given who I bought them from, I highly doubt there are frizzled genes anywhere close in their blood lines.

Does anyone have pictures of Barred Cochins?

I had 1 hatch from a batch I set in early March, these were eggs I got from someone here locally in the Bay Area, I dunno why they didn't hatch well as they weren't shipped.
hu.gif

Anyways, the chick has feathered in and it looks like I might have lucked out and hatched a pullet!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Right? Not my typical hang out I know...
lol.png

I wanted a couple Cochins in hopes of increasing my odds at having broodies to do the hatching thing for me. At the time I set the eggs I figured I'd get more than 1 chick, oh well.

All that means is that now this little barred pullet better be EXTRA broody to make up for her being the only one!
tongue.png

The person I bought the eggs from said she was LF, are there barred LF Cochins? She's definitely as big as most of my LF chicks.

Quote:
Right? Not my typical hang out I know...
lol.png

I wanted a couple Cochins in hopes of increasing my odds at having broodies to do the hatching thing for me. At the time I set the eggs I figured I'd get more than 1 chick, oh well.

All that means is that now this little barred pullet better be EXTRA broody to make up for her being the only one!
tongue.png

The person I bought the eggs from said she was LF, are there barred LF Cochins? She's definitely as big as most of my LF chicks.

Yes, there are. They seem to be a little harder to sex than some of the other colors. Post a picture. We want to see "her".

Back
Top Bottom