Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
X2!!!!

Here is a link to an album of pics I took yesterday of my Lemon Blue Standard Cochin project.

https://picasaweb.google.com/wwmicasa1/LFLemonBluePullets20110726?authkey=Gv1sRgCLnLke3Hnu2yJQ

These girls are F4's & 7 months old. I'm still working on them breeding true for color. Spring 2012 should prove to be an interesting wait in this breeding project
smile.png

Nice job! Very pretty girls
smile.png

ITsaZoo32 & FLchick....thank you so much. It has been a struggle to obtain the color I want. This color is certainly NOT SOP but a lovely color none the less. Many chicks & much culling later, I have enough (6) girls now to work with who are the exact color I have been breeding for. I know that I'm still not there, as far as them breeding true for color, but I'm hoping next year proves to produce larger numbers of "keepers"~!

Maybe someone could help me. This poor fellow has no ladies. If I buy some pullets in the spring, what color should I invest in? He is black with fancy gold laced feathers around his neck. Should I just let him retire to to roosters only area and start with a trio?
idunno.gif

Susan

70041_snape.jpg

70041_3.jpg

Quote:
Is his coloring called Birchen?

I think his coloring was an accident, he doesn't look like a birchin to me, he looks like a brassyback rooster on the feathersite bantams page.
Should I just start over?

Quote:

Shylee, Gail & Mjgigax......

Thanks sooo much for the vote of confidence. Not only is the color hard to reproduce, but keeping some kind of decent type in Standards is a real chore...especially when I didn't have much to work with in the beginning
sad.png

I still have Lemon Boy but I have 3 other cockerels that are really looking good. Two are very much the bright gold/orange in the hackles with the beautiful deep blue in the tail. However, my "fav" is a sweet boy who is a beautiful shade of pale slate blue with the lemon hackles. He is only 5 months old so it is hard to tell what he will be like at maturity. I'm hoping he has good type...he does have awesome foot feathering. My concern with using him is that he might be too pale & give his chicks a washed out look. But I'm still going to give it a go using him because if I don't I will never know
smile.png

I am keeping the two deep colored boys as back up in the event the above breeding doesn't give me what I'm looking for......isn't this fun?? ~!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom