Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
well said
smile.png

It does take time. There are not many shortcuts. The SOP is a tool that you can measure your own birds against the standard. There are NO perfect birds. If you want good birds the SOP should be used as a guide towards that goal. You both breed toward meeting the standard and also cull with an eye on the standard.
Craig

Last edited:
Quote:
well said
smile.png

It does take time. There are not many shortcuts. The SOP is a tool that you can measure your own birds against the standard. There are NO perfect birds. If you want good birds the SOP should be used as a guide towards that goal. You both breed toward meeting the standard and also cull with an eye on the standard.
Craig

Where can I find the SOP guidelines?

Quote:
Craig

the best thing to do is buy the apa sop book. just type it in a search and it should be easy to find

Quote:
Craig

Cochins International has them posted on their website under "Breed Characteristics":
http://www.cochinsint.com/index.php
For full descriptions of the Plumage Varieties, you need to purchase the SOP from either the APA or ABA. You can do that on either of their websites. I absolutely recommend buying the APA SOP if you are raising Large Fowl, or the ABA SOP if you are raising Bantams. There is a wealth of information in addition to the Breed and Plumage characteristics - all for the price of a decent bird. Consider it an investment in your flock.
A membership in Cochins International (also less than the cost of a decent bird), will not only support the advancement of your favorite breed, but will keep you up-do-date on Club news, where to find the Breeders, etc. There is also an online Forum where you can get help from Master Breeders.
And if you are interested in cross-breeding color varieties, or just improving your own variety, a genetics book is always a plus - they're easier to understand than you may think. And you can find good ones for $25.

Quote:

Cochins International has them posted on their website under "Breed Characteristics":
http://www.cochinsint.com/index.php
For full descriptions of the Plumage Varieties, you need to purchase the SOP from either the APA or ABA. You can do that on either of their websites. I absolutely recommend buying the APA SOP if you are raising Large Fowl, or the ABA SOP if you are raising Bantams. There is a wealth of information in addition to the Breed and Plumage characteristics - all for the price of a decent bird. Consider it an investment in your flock.
A membership in Cochins International (also less than the cost of a decent bird), will not only support the advancement of your favorite breed, but will keep you up-do-date on Club news, where to find the Breeders, etc. There is also an online Forum where you can get help from Master Breeders.
And if you are interested in cross-breeding color varieties, or just improving your own variety, a genetics book is always a plus - they're easier to understand than you may think. And you can find good ones for $25.

Thanks Gail~ You are always so helpful!! I really appreciate it
thumbsup.gif

Ignore the poopy walls
hide.gif
Its my quarantine brooder and the roosts are too close to the sidewalls. The shavings are clean
hu.gif

Anyways, check out a few of my girls. Everyone else is out in the regular cochin pen with the black mottled rooster. These 3 ladies are hanging out with my old splash mottled rooster I just got back last weekend (along with a new pullet). The beautiful lady in the back here is a pullet....lacking in mottling but getting more as she is going through a mini molt right now. Should be just under a year old now, I believe. Pretty sure I got her in May at POL.

2011-10-02_11-50-41_109.jpg

Closer picture
2011-10-02_11-50-49_559.jpg

And then the girl in the front right here....going through a bad molt right now. But a beautiful girl normally.

2011-10-02_11-49-31_225.jpg

All the girls together. Pretty girl on the left, bad molting girl in the back and the new young girl in the front.

2011-10-02_11-48-00_616.jpg

2011-10-02_11-48-15_686.jpg

The girls again, with splash mottled boy in the back.
2011-10-02_11-47-48_226.jpg

This quad, along with the below blue mottled hen (pic taken as a younger pullet), are going to work on a blue mottled project a bit
wink.png

24277_1218001453.jpg

That blue mottled girl is gorgeous. I had to do a big butt trim on her this spring and it hasnt molted out yet, sigh.

Here she is more recently
2011-08-25_19-05-36_372.jpg

She is the darker blue on the left here.....nice and wide.
2011-08-25_19-09-56_932.jpg

and in the middle here
2011-08-25_19-10-19_674.jpg

2011-08-25_19-10-30_512.jpg

Back
Top Bottom