Cochin Thread!!!

I am enjoying the most beautiful day today~ spending time with my beautiful birds, out working in the garden~ It couldn't be a more perfect day
love.gif

just thought I'd share new pictures of some boys~
67387_1011_16.jpg
67387_1011_6.jpg

67387_1011_5.jpg
67387_1011_14.jpg

67387_1011_12.jpg
67387_038.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I can tell you what you want to know. Will they have good type? No. Will they breed true? No. You will get a wide variety of oddball colors from them, maybe a few blacks, I was trying to get Porcelain (so if you get a Porcelain you have to sell it to me, Muahaha! ) There is no telling what colors you will get, but type will not be there. Their Lavender mom had poor type. The MFC dad's type was OK. If you really want to get a good bird out of them you will have to hatch every egg laid and hatch out a few hundred chicks and grow them out until you can see their type and color. Very time consuming, not to mention feed, space, work. This is why I quit my project. I just don't have the time, money or space to do it. I want to concentrate on my Splash and Mille Fleur project. Glad you love them, I would be interested to know what colors you get from them.
smile.png

Thank you Fattie! As soon as they start laying and my incubator is empty I'll be hatching every egg I find. As of right now I only have two OEGB's laying so I've been buying eggs to hatch without much luck due to shipping, etc so I'll be super excited to be able to start hatching from my own eggs.
big_smile.png

I meant to ask you how you were going about breeding for the porcelain. If I can find some more birds I might try to keep it going. I may not be very good at it but I wouldn't mind trying. lol

Last edited:
Quote:
it is the standard of perfection. you can buy books and there is also a link on the cochins international site. i would personally recommend buying the book if you plan on breeding. i know they sell it on the apa, american poultry association website. you also do not have to be a breeder to join CI. anyone that likes cochins is more than welcome to join and it's a really good organization. they also send out an informative newsletter to all their members

Just a note to add - the ABA refers to the Bantam SOP as just the Bantam Standard. You can purchase that from the American Bantam Association website.

One great page I refer to often is the judging points. If you're trying to decide what carrys more weight when judging - for instance the comb or the wing carriage, this will tell you exactly. I'm at work so I don't have my book at hand, but if I remember correctly, there are a total of 60 points overall that can be earned for type/shape, and 40 points that can be earned for correct plumage.

Quote:
I like the Buff Columbian male that is the last Buff posted. How young are the others?

The Buff Columbian roo is the same bird in all 3 pictures, he's very young, seems to be at a "teenage" stage of growth right now. I just bought him from Erin Moshier last month. I think she said he was about 5 or 6 months? I think he's going to be pretty nice once he fills out~

I currently have 4 bantam cochins- all of the eggs i hatched were from different breeders here on BYC, I have a Bantam SOP, and am learning to read it.

I am learning about cochins and am thinking eventually of breeding them- It is hard when you first start out and have one or two birds and want opinions and all you get is read the SOP and you will know.

I have personally read the SOP and its a learning process. you have to match oh the eye should look like this, and there are more points on this, etc.

not learned in one day.

the cost for a whole standard may be prohibitave at first. $35 for the bantam standard and like $50 for the whole one from the apa.

i bought mine off amazon for $30 including shipping- so you might be able to find one cheaper than brand new price.

for example with the issue of mottled coloring i read the standard new that they had to have the V shaped dots- no solid white feathers, etc. but just didn't catch that certain parts of the bird need to have spots on every feather and then other areas 1 in 4 or 1 in 5- until someone else meantioned it.

so maybe if someone has a standard they can be willing to look it up and help someone else who does nt have one just yet.

while i have the bantam standard i dont have the LF one so i ask questions on the other threads of the birds that i raise. eventually i may be able to afford that SOP.

so if someone needs some information pm me and i will try to help you out with some of the standard information- though i am very new to this breed. and only have the bantam SOP.

Back
Top Bottom