Cochin Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:It's just next to impossible for anyone to give you good advice on which direction to go with breeding when you have project birds of mixed genetic backgrounds.
    It's also just next to impossible for anyone go tell you what is good or bad about them, as they are not standard colors, so we have nothing to judge or compare them to.

This is a different situation from asking, for instance, "This is my pure-bred Golden Laced, can you give me advice on breeding to improve the lacing."
    It's also a different situation from asking, for instance, "These are my pure-bred Blacks, which I bought as pet quality - can you give me advice on breeding to improve their type and upgrade their quality."

I hope that clarifies what is being said, and why there are no good answers for the questions you asked. They were bought and sold as pet quality, and you should absolutely enjoy them as such.

~Gail

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I was intending on posting full body pictures to get input on type but I didn't get the chance before things went south. I just wanted to know what their colors might be called and what they were likely to do color wise as they aged. I got a few good answers of exactly what I was looking for and then Black Cochin Bantams, or whatever his name is, had to make a comment about people calling themselves breeders when they are not.

I did not call myself a breeder and did not say anything about trying to go by the SOP so I'm not sure why he felt his comment was necessary. All I asked was for some input on their color. I'm trying to learn.

I've read through a lot of this thread trying to learn and I can appreciate the fact that he wants to be as truthful as possible to aid in improving the breed. I think that's great. (Kinda like when you watch american idol or the X factor and the poor kid comes on stage to sing, thinks they're great because mommy couldn't bear to tell him he's horrible, and the Simon sets them straight.)

I would have been more than happy to get some criticism (sp?) from him on their color and type, but that particular comment was uncalled for, it sounded like he was putting fattie down.

3. shawnadoodlebug

shawnadoodlebug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    covington,ga
    I should have ask this early,what is the SOP and where do I get it. [​IMG]
    I mean I look up SOP and alot of stuff came up what do I look for?
    and do you have to be a breeder to join Cochins International. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. shawnadoodlebug

shawnadoodlebug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    covington,ga
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:it is the standard of perfection. you can buy books and there is also a link on the cochins international site. i would personally recommend buying the book if you plan on breeding. i know they sell it on the apa, american poultry association website. you also do not have to be a breeder to join CI. anyone that likes cochins is more than welcome to join and it's a really good organization. they also send out an informative newsletter to all their members

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:As always........[​IMG]
    Your birds make me [​IMG]

7. wildwoodcochins

wildwoodcochins Chillin' With My Peeps

I am enjoying the most beautiful day today~ spending time with my beautiful birds, out working in the garden~ It couldn't be a more perfect day [​IMG]
    just thought I'd share new pictures of some boys~
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChickenFamilyof5

ChickenFamilyof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2009
    Meaford
    Heres one of my girls, will try and get the boys in for a photoshoot. i'm new to this breed and they are really starting to grow on me.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Quote:I can tell you what you want to know. Will they have good type? No. Will they breed true? No. You will get a wide variety of oddball colors from them, maybe a few blacks, I was trying to get Porcelain (so if you get a Porcelain you have to sell it to me, Muahaha! ) There is no telling what colors you will get, but type will not be there. Their Lavender mom had poor type. The MFC dad's type was OK. If you really want to get a good bird out of them you will have to hatch every egg laid and hatch out a few hundred chicks and grow them out until you can see their type and color. Very time consuming, not to mention feed, space, work. This is why I quit my project. I just don't have the time, money or space to do it. I want to concentrate on my Splash and Mille Fleur project. Glad you love them, I would be interested to know what colors you get from them. [​IMG]

10. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Thank you Fattie! As soon as they start laying and my incubator is empty I'll be hatching every egg I find. As of right now I only have two OEGB's laying so I've been buying eggs to hatch without much luck due to shipping, etc so I'll be super excited to be able to start hatching from my own eggs. [​IMG]

I meant to ask you how you were going about breeding for the porcelain. If I can find some more birds I might try to keep it going. I may not be very good at it but I wouldn't mind trying. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by