Cochin Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:it is the standard of perfection. you can buy books and there is also a link on the cochins international site. i would personally recommend buying the book if you plan on breeding. i know they sell it on the apa, american poultry association website. you also do not have to be a breeder to join CI. anyone that likes cochins is more than welcome to join and it's a really good organization. they also send out an informative newsletter to all their members

Just a note to add - the ABA refers to the Bantam SOP as just the Bantam Standard. You can purchase that from the American Bantam Association website.

One great page I refer to often is the judging points. If you're trying to decide what carrys more weight when judging - for instance the comb or the wing carriage, this will tell you exactly. I'm at work so I don't have my book at hand, but if I remember correctly, there are a total of 60 points overall that can be earned for type/shape, and 40 points that can be earned for correct plumage.

2. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:I like the Buff Columbian male that is the last Buff posted. How young are the others?

3. wildwoodcochins

wildwoodcochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I like the Buff Columbian male that is the last Buff posted. How young are the others?

The Buff Columbian roo is the same bird in all 3 pictures, he's very young, seems to be at a "teenage" stage of growth right now. I just bought him from Erin Moshier last month. I think she said he was about 5 or 6 months? I think he's going to be pretty nice once he fills out~

4. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    I currently have 4 bantam cochins- all of the eggs i hatched were from different breeders here on BYC, I have a Bantam SOP, and am learning to read it.

I am learning about cochins and am thinking eventually of breeding them- It is hard when you first start out and have one or two birds and want opinions and all you get is read the SOP and you will know.

I have personally read the SOP and its a learning process. you have to match oh the eye should look like this, and there are more points on this, etc.

not learned in one day.

the cost for a whole standard may be prohibitave at first. $35 for the bantam standard and like $50 for the whole one from the apa.

i bought mine off amazon for $30 including shipping- so you might be able to find one cheaper than brand new price.

for example with the issue of mottled coloring i read the standard new that they had to have the V shaped dots- no solid white feathers, etc. but just didn't catch that certain parts of the bird need to have spots on every feather and then other areas 1 in 4 or 1 in 5- until someone else meantioned it.

so maybe if someone has a standard they can be willing to look it up and help someone else who does nt have one just yet.

while i have the bantam standard i dont have the LF one so i ask questions on the other threads of the birds that i raise. eventually i may be able to afford that SOP.

so if someone needs some information pm me and i will try to help you out with some of the standard information- though i am very new to this breed. and only have the bantam SOP.

5. wildwoodcochins

Quote:Look at that pretty shine on her feathers~ [​IMG]

6. wildwoodcochins

Here's my little baby Buff Columbian roo...growing up~
    [​IMG]

7. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Quote:I was using a Lavender hen with a Mille Fleur Roo. I was told by my genetics guru to keep and breed the ones that looked like Mille Fleur, and then in a few generations I might get a Porcelain. The ones you got aren't the ones to use, I sold the trio that fit the project. But if you breed yours, save the best Mille Fleur looking trio and breed them together. [​IMG]

8. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa

The Buff Columbian roo is the same bird in all 3 pictures, he's very young, seems to be at a "teenage" stage of growth right now. I just bought him from Erin Moshier last month. I think she said he was about 5 or 6 months? I think he's going to be pretty nice once he fills out~

Show the difference that the angle a picture is taken from . He has real potential. His secondaries seem quite broad. Shorter wider feathers often mean good wings and wing carriage.

9. wildwoodcochins

The girls are feeling pretty today~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Is this the cochin thread for LF and bantams? If so, I should take some pics of my bantams and see what you guys think. I have more bantam cochins than anything else and just love them.

Wildwoodcochins Those are nice!!! Is the darker female younger?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by