Cochin Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jun 7, 2009.

1. AutumnWinds

AutumnWinds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Salem, MO
    I think the cochins are really cute with their little fluffy butts and feet. I got some of my own finally and they they are super! The colors they come in are just beautiful.

2. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    So hope this is the right thread.
    I have a bantam cochin rooster, who I think is a partial lemon blue. From pictures I have seen on the internet, looking up the difference between blue and a lavender...
    I found pics of lemon blues and my fellow looks like he might be either a two color cross OR a a poor specimen of a lemon blue...
    Can you let me know??
    [​IMG]

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I'd say a 2-color cross, but I'm not an expert. Also, does he have a pea comb? It may just be the angle of the picture, but if he has a pea comb, there's another breed crossed with him, too.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    He is a pretty color. I think (but dont know) that lemon blue is a project color? I think he looks like he may be a wyandotte mix?.

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

So hope this is the right thread.
    I have a bantam cochin rooster, who I think is a partial lemon blue. From pictures I have seen on the internet, looking up the difference between blue and a lavender...
    I found pics of lemon blues and my fellow looks like he might be either a two color cross OR a a poor specimen of a lemon blue...
    Can you let me know??

Real pretty.

My lemon blues have more of the lemon color in them. I don't think this is a cochin from the angle of the picture, doesn't look like the legs are feathered.​

6. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:looks like maybe he's a wyandotte. are his feet feathered? i see what appears to be a yellow leg with no feathers there but can't tell for sure

7. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Quote:Not a cochin - pea comb and no feathered feet.

8. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:I don't think you can say that LB is a project color, the method for producing them is tried and true. There is a lot of work that must go into producing good type, but that is true of any variety. Lemon Blue comes from breeding a Brown Red with a Blue.

9. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:Not a cochin - pea comb and no feathered feet.

Joanie, may I ask where your avatar came from? Is it a Crele Cochin or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

10. mibirder

mibirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    There seems to be lots of questions/photos about color varieties and I'd like to add a few general bits of info. While everyone needs to think/see type, may folks are equally (or maybe more) interested in colors. The subject of genetics may seem difficult, becuase of the number of genes that can be involved depending on the pattern, but there are some great resources out here (Internet) to help understand.

One resource I'm been smitten with (although its expensive) is "Genetics of Chicken Colours" by Van Dort, Hancock, and freinds. Its a book out of Europe where the knowledge on chicken genetics is much wider known that here in the US. The best part of the book is the "recipe" section in the back of the book. There are pictures of nearly every possible color and the genes needed to make that color (regardless of breed). It is very helpful if you want to try creating a particular color. For those who can't justify the large cost of the book (around $140 US from the Sernam Club I think), you might try to get your local library to purchase it. They are always looking for suggestions from their readers for purchases and that might get you access to a copy.

A free resouce - although the knowledge base is kind of high - is the website forums on "The Coop" ( www.the-coop.org ) . It is out of Europe and has also been helpful once you have a basic understanding of basic genetics. There are discussions of many "breeding projects" that are worth the reading alone.

Lastly, the ABA Standard has descriptions of recongized colors also near the end. There it lists what colors should be where on all of the colors that are recognized as standard colors. Nonstandard colors are sort of anything goes until accepted into the standard OR you have a target in mind. For example, I'm starting a Mille Fleur cochin project (nonstandard color for cochins). What I'm working toward would be a Mille Fleur pattern (which is a standard color), so I can look that up in the Standard to see what to cull for in terms of color. Again, if you find it difficult to justify the cost of the standard, suggest that to the library too.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by