Cochin Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jun 7, 2009.

1. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:Dave excellent resources, I just think it might be a good idea to caution folks about "the Coop" and let them know it's not a forum for light weights.
    Nancy

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Dave excellent resources, I just think it might be a good idea to caution folks about "the Coop" and let them know it's not a forum for light weights.
    Nancy

In addition to vanDort's book, I have also frequently recommended Brian Reeder's book. Here's his website - another great online resource:
    http://poultrygenetics.bravehost.com/index.html

3. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Nancy

Also, for those that may not be aware, vanDort's co-author, David Hancox, is a BYC member - "Blackdotte".

4. aurorarose25

aurorarose25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Mesa, Az
    does anyone have a couple of LF black cochin females for sale?

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Nancy

Also, for those that may not be aware, vanDort's co-author, David Hancox, is a BYC member - "Blackdotte".

Yeah there is A Lot of Knowledgeable people on the Coop I was Born and Raised there, I went there without knowing anything about chickens, Mr. Henk, Sigi, Kasjapz, Choc(Grant B) Dr. Okimoto , Blackdotte took me and thought me all I know.. I try and repay all of their efforts by helping new comers and people searching for answers...

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I would love that book by Blackdotte. [​IMG] I saw a preview of the picts online and is awesome. I guess I will have to save up and "not buy anymore chickens" [​IMG] for a while.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:I don't think you can say that LB is a project color, the method for producing them is tried and true. There is a lot of work that must go into producing good type, but that is true of any variety. Lemon Blue comes from breeding a Brown Red with a Blue.

O well that explains how I got that cute somewhat LB? cross modern game pullet. [​IMG] Thanks She is product of Brown red modern game and blue wheaton Ameraucana.
    I am not good on genetics, yet. [​IMG]

8. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

does ANYONE have a decent typed gold laced female or pair that they can part with? please, please, pretty please [​IMG][​IMG] type is more important than pattern to me at this moment. I have this male that desperately needs a girlfriend. I had almost given up on my blr project but this guy has given me hope again. He is such a beautiful start to a blr cochin that I can't afford to let him go to waste. I will be attending crossroads and the ohio national and could pick up there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Wow! Look at those gorgeous tipped feathers! How beautiful!

Ohhh, I'm not thinking about another variety! I'm not, I'm not!!! [​IMG]

10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Yeah such a vivid Orange color...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by