Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
The exposure is still possible b/c they are outside. I would call the Your State Dept of Ag. Also, if you go to the NPIP official website they list state by state who to contact for the program and I mention this only b/c that is most likely the person in your state to give you the best information as to who the proper person is to contact for blood sample testing. Remember this is not a Salmonella Pullorum test and sometimes testers are only authorized to do that test only. Make sure you tell ther person you are looking to do blood sample testing for like Avian Influenza and M.G.

Good Luck

Beth G. :

Quote:
The exposure is still possible b/c they are outside. I would call the Your State Dept of Ag. Also, if you go to the NPIP official website they list state by state who to contact for the program and I mention this only b/c that is most likely the person in your state to give you the best information as to who the proper person is to contact for blood sample testing. Remember this is not a Salmonella Pullorum test and sometimes testers are only authorized to do that test only. Make sure you tell ther person you are looking to do blood sample testing for like Avian Influenza and M.G.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help. I guess I am looking at the whole situation right now, eggs that were in the incubator with this hen's eggs, babies that were raised together, birds I've sold that were exposed possibly, ALL the birds in my coop. I'm absolutely in shock and fear right now for the future of my birds.​

Quote:

Good Luck

Thanks for your help. I guess I am looking at the whole situation right now, eggs that were in the incubator with this hen's eggs, babies that were raised together, birds I've sold that were exposed possibly, ALL the birds in my coop. I'm absolutely in shock and fear right now for the future of my birds.

I think you may be taking it out too hard on yourself. Poultry disease is spread SOOO easily that it's nearly impossible to keep them away from everything. There are people that if they show a bird, it does not go back home and I think that's the only way to be safe but there are still your clothes and shoes that have to be disinfected. All that has to happen outside is for a wild bird to let droppings into your pen and it's contaminated, I think some things even go in the air. Feed stores are a source of contamination. With all these germy places and everything it's almost impossible to keep your birds away from any germs or bacteria. I think the benefit of my birds being able to free range outweighs the risks of being outside. Yes they will catch illness but we just need to know how to treat it. Coccidiosis is one of the worst but it can be kept under control fairly easily. I was scared of all the risks of contagion but it's just something that you have to live with when you have birds. Best thing to do is keep your flock mite free and healthy and watch closely for any sign of ill ness. I would say for your thin feathered hen to find her a pet home and just keep her out of any breeding programs

Quote:

I don't know if we have a state tester or not, I am trying to get in contact with my friend who would know better what to do in this situation. My chickens are not free range, all breeds are kept seperate in their own pens but the outside pens are seperated only by chicken wire.

Every state has a tester for birds. The same people who test birds before a show will be the same people who test your birds for this. As stated, all you have to do is call you State Ag Dept and they should be able to help you out. I do not get my birds tested at shows, I always call the tester out to my house and have each and every one done then. That way I dont have certain birds tested and certain ones not. Even if I have birds that I dont intend to show, I always have them tested as well. If nothing else, post in the "Indiana" thread and ask your neighbors if they could help you out with this.

And you dont need to beat yourself up over this. You cant expect to raise chickens and never have a bird get sick or never have any kind of problem. Thats just the way it is sometimes, you cant protect them from everything. And some things its important for tem to be exposed to, so their immune systems can get strong enough to do the job it needs. And as far as showing, you never know what you will bring back from a show. I know of breeders who have put the best birds they had down because they contracted something from a show. It doesnt mean that you arent a good breeder. Birds get stressed easily and when they get stressed (as in most animals) their immune system isnt performing top notch. So when your washing your birds, drying them, packing them up, being in an odd place all day, being packed back up before returning home. They can stressed pretty easy by these thigs. Thats why I quarntine birds for 2 weeks after a show just to be safe. It would be ideal to wash them after, but I dont have the time for that. And just as stated before, your clothes and shoes can carry things hopme as well. And most people dont expect that your car can do the same. EVERY time I go to a show, wether I am showing birds or just attending for fun, before and after the show I always take the car through the car wash. Just dont beat yourself up over something you had absolutely no control over. It could happen to anyone else with birds just the same.

~Casey

Quote:
She is cute zil I know what you mean about the tude. I have a silkie named Sassy for that reason. Just does what she wants and is really an independent thinker. Then she had a baby and her baby is named Princess. Same thing with the attitude.
tongue.png

She keeps things interesting, but all seven of my cockerals combined are usually nicer than her.
roll.png

I think the two BYC Peeps that posted after you are right. Don't be so hard on yourself over this. I think you really need to try and get the test done. Until then don't doubt yourself that you did anything wrong. As my friend tells me, He shares this information to help backyard poultry keepers not discourage them. I hope you don't take his input in my postings as negative or discouraging. Look at them as constructive critism/ and information only. Don't do anything drastic until you have concrete evidence showing exactly if that is the cause.

If for some reason it comes back that she does have it, I wouldn't blame yourself. As thecochincoop said this stuff is in the enviroment everywhere. Even in places you visit often and do not even think twice about possible contamination.

Like for instance going to a grocery store in a heavy farm community. Who would think to worry about contracting Mareks, CRD, MG, Etc... after going to pick up some groceries. Then you come home and your babies are outside clucking away and you can't help but, run over and say hi to your babies. I think we've all done it. I personally only where the same slip on boots in my pen and have a spray bottle of oxine hanging on the gate of the only way in. But, it could still be on my clothes!!!

Be postive like everyone has said
smile.png

Best Wishes
hugs.gif

Quote:

Good Luck

Thanks for your help. I guess I am looking at the whole situation right now, eggs that were in the incubator with this hen's eggs, babies that were raised together, birds I've sold that were exposed possibly, ALL the birds in my coop. I'm absolutely in shock and fear right now for the future of my birds.

frow.gif
****Fattie****
frow.gif

Take a peak at these two quick pic's I took of one of your boy
wink.png
He's only I think 5 months and I love his type and color
smile.png

61583_img-20111021-005601.jpg

61583_img-20111021-005591.jpg

I think he thinks he's handsome too!! He struts around clucking to the older girls as if to say.....Hey Look at ME!
gig.gif

ps quailty is poor b/c I took them on my cellphone camera sorry
sad.png

Last edited:
I also took a pic of my Cookie girl. She's still going through a long moult but, I still think she's the cutest Fluff Butt ever. I hope the few of her offspring I hatched out turn out just like her!

61583_img-20111021-005671.jpg

Back
Top Bottom