Cochin Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:I was sitting here thinking how good it was you did not take any pictures of the only Mille Cochin entered at the show. It was definitely not a shining example. Goes to prove that you can enter anything at a show.

Craig - do you know who had the Butterscotch? I've never heard of them before - very interesting color!

2. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:I was sitting here thinking how good it was you did not take any pictures of the only Mille Cochin entered at the show. It was definitely not a shining example. Goes to prove that you can enter anything at a show.

Craig - do you know who had the Butterscotch? I've never heard of them before - very interesting color!

I think Richard Andree of Minnesota was the exhibitor of the butterscotch cochins.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Are we talking about the Butterscotch in the sale area or were there some in the show? I tell you there was so many birds there I am sure I missed a lot. I was chicken drunk for 2 days.

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Looks to me that they wanted to lighten up the foot area so they took a big round photoshop brush and hit color dodge. You can see the circle outline of lighter color...

Actually, it's the opposite. The lighting was off and I was trying to darken the shavings area after I lightened the shadows to make the bird stand out more.
    These are NOT my birds anyway! I volunteered to help take pictures. The captions clearly state whose birds they are.

5. Black Cochin Bantams

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:Craig - do you know who had the Butterscotch? I've never heard of them before - very interesting color!

They were talking about the ones in the show. We also were talking about the Self Blues you had there.

6. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:You're right. Taking their pictures in the cages was hard because of low light. There were faces peering through from behind, poo all over, loose feathers, etc. I was just trying to clean it up a little.

And, no, I did not steal anyone's pics. They came from my camera. You can ask Linda Tobin.

7. Black Cochin Bantams

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:Looks to me that they wanted to lighten up the foot area so they took a big round photoshop brush and hit color dodge. You can see the circle outline of lighter color...

Actually, it's the opposite. The lighting was off and I was trying to darken the shavings area after I lightened the shadows to make the bird stand out more.
    These are NOT my birds anyway! I volunteered to help take pictures. The captions clearly state whose birds they are.

You did a good job and some can't appreciate all the work that goes into taking pictures at a show like that. It is so much more than just go snap a picture. Record all information on each bird so the proper birds get recognized. It took well over an hour to take pictures of Just the winning bantam Cochins and to record the data.
    Thank you for your contribution!
    Craig

8. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Actually, it's the opposite. The lighting was off and I was trying to darken the shavings area after I lightened the shadows to make the bird stand out more.

You did a good job and some can't appreciate all the work that goes into taking pictures at a show like that. It is so much more than just go snap a picture. Record all information on each bird so the proper birds get recognized. It took well over an hour to take pictures of Just the winning bantam Cochins and to record the data.
    Craig

Thank you. I loved taking pictures of those huge, fluffy, beautiful birds. They were very tame for the most part. The White Frizzle rooster tried to take flight when I opened his cage, so I couldn't get a good shot of him. If anyone wants to see a particular variety, let me know and I'll post that pic. It will be later on, though. I have to leave now.

I should have been more clear when I first posted about who I was and why I took the pictures. Sorry, everyone. [​IMG]

9. wildwoodcochins

wildwoodcochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my Birchen trio I bought from a lady in IL, met her at Crossroads~
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my favorites~ a sweet little pair from Nancy ( Lilcrow) I just love these two, they are adorable! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I have a good start on Birchens for next year!

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Actually, it's the opposite. The lighting was off and I was trying to darken the shavings area after I lightened the shadows to make the bird stand out more.

Craig

I have no idea who you are in real life, that's why I assumed they were yours. I only asked as to why the photos appeared photoshopped, I received my answer. I was not trying to say that the birds are not yours, which I now know they aren't, and also know that the photos were not stolen. Originally I was confused as to the setting of the black cockerel, which appeared to be floating on top of the shavings. The shadows on the birds from the flash and cages is enough to see the birds belonged in those cages, I was simply wondering why the lighting was off.

Thank you for your information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by