Cochin Thread!!!

Hello everyone
frow.gif
, very helpful thread--thank you! I have a question (or two, or three) for you if anyone has a spare minute. We have been doing chickens for a while but mostly Silkies and guineas, plus our laying flock. However, my kids want to have their own birds and are interested in showing cochin. Our son (fifteen today :)) is interested in gold laced cause he says they look like little dragons. Our daughter (ten) wants to have whites, and wants to raise frizzle as well as smooth. Of course both of them would be working under our close supervision, and they are both responsible kids, but I am still wondering if you think this is practical? I'm especially wondering if our daughter raising frizzle is a good idea...they seem like the breeding is a bit more complex. Otoh, I hate to discourage them because they have been saving their own money to buy the birds and are being very sensible in their approach. She is really taken by the frizzle and beein reading books on them, etc. Thoughts? Are there bantam cochin colors that a kid is more likely to have success with? I personally love blacks, but so far they aren't biting.
Blacks win more often but I don't know if that is because they are that much better or that there are just more good Blacks. Other colors do well also. In most cases I recommend Cochins in this color order for beginners . BLACK, White, Mottled, Blue, Buff . It is possible to find a good bird in each of these colors. If the birds will get much direct sunlight I can't recommend Whites because so many turn a brassy tint.

Thanks, that is very helpful! I don't know enough to tell which ones with breed true to pattern/color without a lot of experience. I guessed those with lacing (like their first pics of columbian and lemon blue) would be really tough, but I had no idea gold lace would be difficult, too. I know my son won't want white if that's what his sister is doing, but maybe I can talk him into black. What if I call them ninjas, think that'll do it? lol I think I remember him saying he liked the mottled, and I could definitely go for those, too. And he can always add his little dragons later if the opportunity presents and he sticks with it long enough.

Thanks so much! I'm excited for them to go in this direction 'cause I've been quietly coveting Cochin for awhile, but wasn't giving myself permission to add any new breeds. Oh, and the whites will be inside cause our daughter read somewhere that frizzle have trouble with the rain. Thankfully we have a very roomy barn, so there's plenty of inside space and we can let them have 'run' time in the inside sand as well.

So, what do you think about a beginner and frizzle? I've done some reading about breeding a frizzle to a smooth, or to a smooth that carries the frizzle gene. My thought is if we were to start her off we'd get her maybe a frizzle roo and one or two smooth pullets/hens, we could then keep some of the smooth young to breed back? How does that sound for a rough plan?

So, what do you think about a beginner and frizzle? I've done some reading about breeding a frizzle to a smooth, or to a smooth that carries the frizzle gene. My thought is if we were to start her off we'd get her maybe a frizzle roo and one or two smooth pullets/hens, we could then keep some of the smooth young to breed back? How does that sound for a rough plan?

What I say to that is this: Everyone must start somewhere. Granted Cochins (frizzles ezpecially) have always been what I have raised and shown and a very nice bird for beginners but it can also prove disappointing to many young exhibitors because fertility can sometimes be low or the birds do not mature fast enough for their liking. Its not easy breeding a good quality flock of Cochins, frizzle or smooth, its maintaining that flock where it gets difficult. Just dont look at the good aspects of a bird, look at all aspects of it, the good the bad and the ugly. Your children seem well prepared and very inquired, and that is a very good thing! I wish them the best.

Now, to the frizzle topic. Frizzles are not hard to breed or raise at all. People often think they need special attention or special housing and thats not the case. My frizzles do not get special treatment and dont get treated any different from my smooth birds. If they get wet, they get wet just like any other bird. And when they dry they look good as new. The only issue you may come across is naturally breeding your flock without trimming/plucking feathers, or learning to AI. Frizzles are "poofier" that smooth Cochins, and fertility may fall because of the access feathering. Just remember to never breed two frizzles together and you should be fine. Just watch the feather quality of the frizzles and their type, although they are frizzled, they should still look like a Cochin. I encourage your daughter to breed frizzles, and to learn all she can. There are some things she just wont get or learn right away unless she gets to deal with it herself.

I breed and show White Cochin Btms in frizzle and smooth, and if you guys have any questions or what have you, feel free to PM me or ask here. Its not a bad idea to get different opinions and views about things like this. I wish you the best of luck!

~Casey

Last edited:
any bird that will be seriously shown will need to stay indoors away from the sun which can cause fading. In my experience I have seen both blacks and whites win at shows so I would go with that. Mottleds will not win over them so if he wants to win that would not be the way to go. If it's just for fun and experience then it would be just fine. Of course I have had people write me that birds they got from me have won in their junior shows and they were mottleds but they were most likely a small show and in the junior show. I have seen junior birds as good if not better than the open birds.

Thanks, that is very helpful! I don't know enough to tell which ones with breed true to pattern/color without a lot of experience. I guessed those with lacing (like their first pics of columbian and lemon blue) would be really tough, but I had no idea gold lace would be difficult, too. I know my son won't want white if that's what his sister is doing, but maybe I can talk him into black. What if I call them ninjas, think that'll do it? lol I think I remember him saying he liked the mottled, and I could definitely go for those, too. And he can always add his little dragons later if the opportunity presents and he sticks with it long enough.

Thanks so much! I'm excited for them to go in this direction 'cause I've been quietly coveting Cochin for awhile, but wasn't giving myself permission to add any new breeds. Oh, and the whites will be inside cause our daughter read somewhere that frizzle have trouble with the rain. Thankfully we have a very roomy barn, so there's plenty of inside space and we can let them have 'run' time in the inside sand as well.

This is why I love BYC so much--there is always tons and tons of helpful info all through the forums, and then lots of fabulous people who I can ask the trickier or more specific questions! You guys rock! Okay, I will tell my daughter she can have her frizzles--and tell her to send you a thank you note, too! lol She really has her heart set on them, and has already saved close to thirty dollars towards her first birds. I have told them both I will go half, so I think that is a good start. She earns cash by filling a five gallon bucket with our chicken's poop to go in the compost. The birds are on sand, so a screen and kitty litter scoop a couple times a week takes care of them.

But, I'm getting off topic. Suffice it to say, I think she's dedicated enough and I know she's a quick and willing learner, so here we go! Casey, I will pm you with any other help/suggestions, and thank you for your thorough answer! Cochincoop, I will run all that past my son. I really can't tell how much he's in it to win, and how much just cause the birds are beautiful and showing will be fun. However, since he only has one more year as a junior, it's good for him to be thinking beyond just this season. Otoh, what I want most for the kids is to encourage their love of chickens and give them a little independence in this, so I'll probably just lay it out and then let him decide. After all, it's his cash/time/effort on the line!
wink.png

I really do appreciate you guys helping me out! There are so many things that it's hard to 'get' without taping into a deeper experience pool. We are excited to attend a 'real' show here in Winston-Salem, NC come April, and if the kids don't have birds yet maybe we can buy some there. At the least, it will be a chance to see how cochin's shake their feathers at a show!

If your interested in Cochins and would rather not have birds shipped, Judy Gantt lives in Lawndale and she has amazing birds. Her Mottleds are some of the best and she has won BB and Champion of show with her Mottleds on several occasions. She also has White frizzles as well. She may actually be at this show. She also had a frizzle pullet receive Champion of Show, but I cant remember what color, I think Black.

On a side note, I took this pic showing what it looks like walking towards the house from the coop. This is my cousin who walked down while I was feeding and when he walked back my birds followed. Lol

~Casey

Last edited:
Ahh, they're so pretty! Those frizzles look like they're wearing a skirt straight out of the dance of the sugar plum fairy! No wonder my daughter's besotted.

I actually just got Judy Gantt's information from a local silkie breeder who we got our splash birds from. I'm excited to shoot her an email, but felt it would go off better if we had done our homework first. Or, at least made some attempt in that direction.
big_smile.png
I definitely try not to ship birds when I can avoid it. Maybe silly, but I always feel a little claustrophobic on their behalf!

Ahh, they're so pretty! Those frizzles look like they're wearing a skirt straight out of the dance of the sugar plum fairy! No wonder my daughter's besotted.

I actually just got Judy Gantt's information from a local silkie breeder who we got our splash birds from. I'm excited to shoot her an email, but felt it would go off better if we had done our homework first. Or, at least made some attempt in that direction.
big_smile.png
I definitely try not to ship birds when I can avoid it. Maybe silly, but I always feel a little claustrophobic on their behalf!

Judy raises Whites, Blacks, Mottleds, Blues, and some Frizzles. Your son might be interested in working with Blues. The Andalusion Blue gene can yield you Blues, Blacks and Splash! And Blue Mottleds are just as beautiful as Black Mottleds! I just wouldn't recommend a patterned bird (other than Mottled) for someone just starting out. But then again, he does have more years ahead of him than I do to perfect them! They just won't deliver for him in the show room in the near future.
But with his analagy of the GL dragons, I'm going to look at mine in a whole new light!

And be sure and check out the Cochins International website - it's loaded with lots of information: www.cochinsint.com

~Gail

She sounds perfect! I think we'll have to see how many she's willing to part with.
big_smile.png
I'll definitely point my son toward mottled, but I love the sound of splash cochin, for down the road maybe. And I already know I like blue, as does my daughter. This will be such fun! I'm glad the kids were persistant in pushing us this way.
clap.gif

Judy raises Whites, Blacks, Mottleds, Blues, and some Frizzles. Your son might be interested in working with Blues. The Andalusion Blue gene can yield you Blues, Blacks and Splash! And Blue Mottleds are just as beautiful as Black Mottleds! I just wouldn't recommend a patterned bird (other than Mottled) for someone just starting out. But then again, he does have more years ahead of him than I do to perfect them! They just won't deliver for him in the show room in the near future.
But with his analagy of the GL dragons, I'm going to look at mine in a whole new light!

And be sure and check out the Cochins International website - it's loaded with lots of information: www.cochinsint.com

~Gail

Back
Top Bottom