Cochin Thread!!!

Well if I go off the pic posted on feather sexing I must have a pullet (the black) and a cockerel (the lighter one) cause the black has much larger feathers and the light one you can't hardly see them and they are the same age, about 6 days. I guess I'll see if this is really correct. :) either way I don't care they are so cute.

As of today, I now have 48 eggs set to hatch. I have 18 under 2 hens, 9 each, and they have been set for a week. I just took 2 1/2 dz to a friends to hatch since I have no bator. I mentioned that the birds I hatched and raised last Fall had started laying, that was an understatement. I found their hidden nest with 7 eggs in there, and since then I have been getting 5-6 eggs a day. I have 8 pullets/hens and of those 2 are broody, one lays every so often and I have the 5 pullets from last year who each lay every day. I gathered those 2 dz eggs just from last Thursday till day yesterday. And today I found 4 eggs and 3 were gathered this morning, so one of then laid yesterday after I collected them all. Now I just hope to have a good hatch. I have also found a small flock of very nice Red's that I will be getting in the next couple weeks, so I hope to have that project aff the ground by this Fall as well.

~Casey

I just brought this sweet little girl home and have named her Buttercup. Her Cochin daddy is named Butterscotch, so it seemed to fit. And she is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!
love.gif

Sadly, though, she won't stay by herself in her new little pen we built just for her (she's too young to go into general population and too big to go with the chicks), sooooo...chicken math being what it is, I'm going back today to get her sister!
wee.gif

Buttercup (about 3.5-4 mos old)

Back
Top Bottom