Cochin Thread!!!

I have some LF barred cochins that I got back in October they're doing good so far. There's a lighter marked roo that I think is just gorgeous. I can't wait till he's full grown. Of course I have no idea if the lighter coloring is a good thing or a bad thing for his breed? Any input is appreciated.

These are my first LF cochins, I picked the barred's I love the coloring. I also had some partridge but they all died except one hen.

Guess what I got tonight? Bantam Cochins! It was a unexpected thing. I got 4, and I was told they are buff. They are from Duane Urch.
E1F20A8A-3A6B-4035-B41C-58CDB72F2B5C-22328-00001016AE34512E.jpg

They are the light colored ones in the front.
Cute! I can't wait 'til spring to hatch my own eggs out of my white bantam pair.
wee.gif

Yay, the f1 from my partridge project. Trying to improve type by crossing to good typed black for the f1, as i have only 1 female partridge with good type. Here is the little fella

Look at the face on that one! Looks like he/she has some attitude.
big_smile.png

I just purchased two Cochin hens (8 mo)!
celebrate.gif
Their main purpose is to incubate eggs. I hope to have a self sustaining flock. As I watched them check out their new diggs I noticed they couldn't fit in the nest boxes.
How large do Cochin nest boxes need to be? I have a great flock of Buff Orpingtons that fit nicely in the boxes. I didn't realize the Cochins would be so fluffy!

Also can I trim the feathers around their feet? (not the legs) They have been getting snowballs around them.

Hey guys, I just realized that my Cochin has a very pale comb and wattles compared to images here...but ever since she was a baby they've been that way, so I don't think she's ill...she acts normal, lays every day, so I don't know that there's anything wrong with her. Is it normal for some hens to have lighter combs?

Hannah-From what I've read, in cochins you want bright red combs/ear lobes etc. I am thinking it may just be a flaw. Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to confirm.

Hey guys, I just realized that my Cochin has a very pale comb and wattles compared to images here...but ever since she was a baby they've been that way, so I don't think she's ill...she acts normal, lays every day, so I don't know that there's anything wrong with her. Is it normal for some hens to have lighter combs?
It could be that she is pale because she's laying every day. Most hens get very pale and washed out when they go broody, but laying every day is a lot for a cochin. They aren't known to be the best layers. That is one possibility, but if she is truly pale you might also consider worming her, I would probably do that one way or another.

It could be that she is pale because she's laying every day. Most hens get very pale and washed out when they go broody, but laying every day is a lot for a cochin. They aren't known to be the best layers. That is one possibility, but if she is truly pale you might also consider worming her, I would probably do that one way or another.
She's been pale her whole life...could it be that she has had worms a very long time? And how do I worm her?

my new project siver spangled cochins
Just beautiful! You certainly are not afraid of projects and looks like you know what you are doing!!! I am new to this and learning a lot, so if you don't mind my questions: do you keep breeding records or pedigrees? and if so, on paper or computer program? and in the second picture, is that a red spangled in the background? thanks in advance, Mary

Back
Top Bottom