Cochin Thread!!!

yes, bantam cochin = pekin. just depends where you live as to what they're called. but it's the same thing... and i don't know what i'd do without the little goofballs.

just love watching them run across the yard following whoever's more likely to have food, tho i wonder about this pic (mixed group, not just cochins)... did they think sunny had food?

I love it! lol Sunny must have had something that caught their interest.
lol.png

[/URL]

I got impatient and went and did it. Note to self..wear gloves next time, and open the caps before u catch the chicken. I had it dripping everywhere lol

Looks like you had a good time!
lol.png

ok so I cracked Dottie's egg today...it is fertile...yes?
No, sorry this is the "dot" that ALL eggs have. I'm not up on the actual content, but I believe that is the ovum and when it is fertilized by the rooster it will look more like a little disk with a dot in the middle, but it will be more obvious than this. The egg also should sit on the counter for a couple of days before you check it so it has time to develop the halo around the dot.

^good to know..I was doing fertility checks while chicken setting this past week on Lavenderder Orpingtons and was having a hard time.

I went and bought a new recliner today, (I had to explain my dye'd hands to my hubby, he was less then enthused)...here's how the akward conversation went with the salesperson..

Salesmen-What happened to your hands?
Me-Oh just food coloring, its stained on
Salesmen-What were you dying that you go it on your hands
Me-Uhhh Umm Uhh I dont know
Salesman- You dont know what your were dying??!!?
Me-Uhh eggs, yah it was eggs

Hubby had to walk away, how do you explain to the salesman that your were dying chicken vents??

I do agree with you on that, I do not like over powering salepeople. I was showing hubby a recliner I liked and the salesperson took it upon himself to follow us around, and kept trying to sell us a lift chair (a recliner that rocks, reclines and litterly lifts up to get out of easier.) I am 24 years old, I do not think I need a chair to lift me out of it, I am capable all on my own. We ending up leaving,and buying a chair at the next stop. I do not get along with over bearing salespeople.

No, sorry this is the "dot" that ALL eggs have. I'm not up on the actual content, but I believe that is the ovum and when it is fertilized by the rooster it will look more like a little disk with a dot in the middle, but it will be more obvious than this. The egg also should sit on the counter for a couple of days before you check it so it has time to develop the halo around the dot.

Oh wow! I didn't even know that...I thought that little dot meant it was fertile...thanks for that...now I know why they didn't develop with the other eggs...lol...

Now I know Justice is doing his job as I see him all the time and I have trimmed around Dotti's vent...should I do the same for him? Do I trim in the same area?

Oh wow! I didn't even know that...I thought that little dot meant it was fertile...thanks for that...now I know why they didn't develop with the other eggs...lol...

Now I know Justice is doing his job as I see him all the time and I have trimmed around Dotti's vent...should I do the same for him? Do I trim in the same area?
You trim/plucks hens from the vent area and up. You check that when he is trying to fertilize her her feathers are not pushed down over the vent preventing fertilization. this requires removing quite a lot of feathers. On the male you pluck/trim around the vent area and down so that his feathers do not prevent making contact.

Back
Top Bottom