Cochin Thread!!!

I originally posted to another thread without receiving any feedback. Crossing fingers this post works! Am seeking input on my Bantam Cochin Frizzle cockerel - what variety of bantam Cochin is Tango? Tango is VERY slow feathering but healthy and a mellow little guy. Tango is not crowing yet but, when he does, I'm going to have to re-home him.

Below, he is the bantam Cochin chick on the right at about 3 weeks of age.
The next shot is about 6 weeks.
Final two photos are at 9 1/2 weeks old. He still has some chick fuzz.

Any input you can offer as to what type of bantam Cochin pattern he fits into is greatly appreciated. Even 'tho he is still in ugly duck stage, he certainly is the most interesting looking little guy! And he talks to me. Will be hard to part with him.

I originally posted to another thread without receiving any feedback. Crossing fingers this post works! Am seeking input on my Bantam Cochin Frizzle cockerel - what variety of bantam Cochin is Tango? Tango is VERY slow feathering but healthy and a mellow little guy. Tango is not crowing yet but, when he does, I'm going to have to re-home him.

Below, he is the bantam Cochin chick on the right at about 3 weeks of age.
The next shot is about 6 weeks.
Final two photos are at 9 1/2 weeks old. He still has some chick fuzz.

Any input you can offer as to what type of bantam Cochin pattern he fits into is greatly appreciated. Even 'tho he is still in ugly duck stage, he certainly is the most interesting looking little guy! And he talks to me. Will be hard to part with him.

He's a cutie
love.gif

a white chick would be yellow at hatch. this chick is a blue. possibly a splash, but usually they are lighter grey at hatch.
the white spot I was referring to is usually like this (pic found on google search).

typically the roo's is bigger than a pullet's... so i'd guess there's a pair here.

this bird, isn't a white... i'd hazard a guess it isn't even pure cochin, since the middle toes have little to no feathering. it is a splash, if the head is actually grey as it appears in the pic. the red markings could come from anywhere, if both parent's weren't the same color.

if one parent was white, then it could be anything as white is capable of hiding many mutations... often the first crossed generation will have red feathers here and there unpredictably... but either way, it might make a nice pet, or backyard layer (or roo) but I wouldn't use it for breeding anything else.
I am told that the whites are usually yellow but not always. The brown spots turned out to be the base of the feathers not feathers themselves. The head is sprouting white feathers now. It is going to be completely white after all. :D The middle toes do not have a lot of feathering although they do have some. I am going to breed this chick but only for my own pleasure. :) Ty for your comments and information. Much appreciated!

I asked about these 14 week chick this weekend and received no answers so I am assuming most members were not on line. So, because I really want to learn so someday my flock will be something to be proud of I am asking again to know what is good and what is bad about these chicks. The little roo is I thnk a motled, the three brown hens are partridge and the dark hen is a blue I think. Please any comments on them I will take as a much needed education. Thanks so much.

The littl blues tail is not that light the sun here in Arizona is quite intense.

I asked about these 14 week chick this weekend and received no answers so I am assuming most members were not on line. So, because I really want to learn so someday my flock will be something to be proud of I am asking again to know what is good and what is bad about these chicks. The little roo is I thnk a motled, the three brown hens are partridge and the dark hen is a blue I think. Please any comments on them I will take as a much needed education. Thanks so much.

The littl blues tail is not that light the sun here in Arizona is quite intense.

I am not expert. Have you checked this site for breed standards? http://www.cochinsint.com/breed-standards.html It is very helpful! Even has photos!

The mottled cockerel looks to have a nice shape, i don't know much about mottled so will pass on that for now. The brown pullets are partridge as you stated, cant see much of them in the pics though, the tail on the one in the bottom picture looks a bit strange but it may just be the picture. The feathers on all your partridge in fact look a bit straight and firm, but again may just be the picture.

What colour are the feet and shanks of the blue? Eye colour is a bit light but may deepen slightly as they age.

What i found to be the best help for me was to look at pictures of my birds side by side with pictures of show winners in the same colour. Your birds are still growing though and i would think the final shape hasn't settled yet. Get some better side on pics of the pullets and we can have a better look.

Last edited:
Hey everyone just got a couple of Cochins added to the flock this year. This little black one was straight run. She's 10 weeks old and I'm pretty sure she's a pullet would anyone agree?

Thanks!

I've never had a cochin roo so I don't know their personalities, but my hens are very lovable. Once you hold them they just fall asleep on my lap. They are also like puffballs! they're just to poofy!! lol I love my hen(black) and my pullet(barred).
love.gif

Just wanted to post pics of two new Cochin chicks I got. The little one hatched here two days ago. The bigger barred chick I got at a swap. I don't know, but I'm assuming that the little one is blue?

Back
Top Bottom