Cochin Thread!!!

Tony, I hatched out Columbians, Mottleds and a Buff Columbian from the last batch of eggs I got from you!

The three Columbians from the first batch (trio) are really coming along!
I am so happy to hear that.

I have sold all of my buff columbians. I lost my best hen and just wasn't happy with the other two and couldn't find any replacements!
The mottleds I have been extremely happy with this year and I kept a couple columbian pullets back to add to my columbian program.

Let me know how your Buff Columbians come out. I hope you are happy with them and they aren't from these other two hens I had.

I need to know if anyone else has ever experienced this. The chicks I hatch out in the fall (August) seem to go to bed around 5-6 pm every night. This will stay true with them forever meaning that even at 3 years old they continue this habit. The chicks I hatch in the spring will go to bed around 7-8 and this habit seems to stay with them. I thought a lot about this and wondered if time or day length is imprinted on them early in life. With the fall chicks the days are shorter and I think they develop a habit of short days. The same with the spring chicks. I have some that are 4 years old and still continue with bedtime hours of when they were hatched. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just a crazy cluck ??????

I need to know if anyone else has ever experienced this. The chicks I hatch out in the fall (August) seem to go to bed around 5-6 pm every night. This will stay true with them forever meaning that even at 3 years old they continue this habit. The chicks I hatch in the spring will go to bed around 7-8 and this habit seems to stay with them. I thought a lot about this and wondered if time or day length is imprinted on them early in life. With the fall chicks the days are shorter and I think they develop a habit of short days. The same with the spring chicks. I have some that are 4 years old and still continue with bedtime hours of when they were hatched. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just a crazy cluck ??????
Could be. But I never have seen this with my chickens. They always go to bed when its getting dark.

I need to know if anyone else has ever experienced this.  The chicks I hatch out in the fall (August) seem to go to bed around 5-6 pm every night.  This will stay true with them forever meaning that even at 3 years old they continue this habit.  The chicks I hatch in the spring will go to bed around 7-8 and this habit seems to stay with them.  I thought a lot about this and wondered if time or day length is imprinted on them early in life.  With the fall chicks the days are shorter and I think they develop a habit of short days.  The same with the spring chicks.  I have some that are 4 years old and still continue with bedtime hours of when they were hatched.  Has anyone else experienced this or am I just a crazy cluck ??????

My spring chicks have always gone by light- to bed when it gets dark. I haven't hatched any out, though. Interesting!

no idea. I hatch all my chicks indoors where my lights are on timers, going on at 6am and off at 10pm. I use heat emitters on the chicks that provide no light, so they actually start with a full day-night cycle... when they go outside, I have to put them in their new house for the first couple days just before dark or they'll stay outside all night.

all my adults regardless of when they hatch go to bed about an hour before dark. if they hear me get into the feed bin they'll all pile out and come see tho

Same here, my flock gets no additional lighting and rise by 6 am and go to roost about 6:30 to 7:30 pm. Broody moms in the hen house seem to gather their chicks about the same time. The outlying pen, a few straggler chicks range until dark and then answer mom's call.

ok well I managed to snap a couple more pics today...

wondering if anyone's encountered 'sun bleaching' of their birds... here's a pic of my blue mottled guy, today and the day I got him for comparison. yes he REALLY is a blue. LOL

one thing I have noticed, free ranging seems to have improved his wing carriage... he's actually a pretty good flyer (if you count downhill gliding 'flying' LOL)

and then a pic of a couple of my red chicklets. the cockerel and one of the pullets. and another overhead view of the cockerel... they just turned 4 months old and still have some filling in to do. think there's any hope for type or is it too soon to ask?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom