Cochin Thread!!!

I have a breeding question, I hope someone can help me. I don't have a whole lot of birds right now, and I have various breeds, so I'm kinda limited a bit as far as how many and of each color goes and I'm not going to have 1 rooster of every color of every breed that I have. If I were to breed a hen to a roo and then seperate them, how long would I need to wait before putting her in w/a different colored roo if I wanted to try a dif. breeding route? For example, human sperm can live for 4-5 days, is it the same for chickens? I want to know what eggs are from which roo and what colors to expect. Thanks!
I believe up to 18 days. Don't remember where I got that information.

I have a breeding question, I hope someone can help me. I don't have a whole lot of birds right now, and I have various breeds, so I'm kinda limited a bit as far as how many and of each color goes and I'm not going to have 1 rooster of every color of every breed that I have. If I were to breed a hen to a roo and then seperate them, how long would I need to wait before putting her in w/a different colored roo if I wanted to try a dif. breeding route? For example, human sperm can live for 4-5 days, is it the same for chickens? I want to know what eggs are from which roo and what colors to expect. Thanks!
give it a good month or so and make sure u see them doing their thing if the hen likes the former rooster better she can store up his sperm for few weeks

alright yall here are my new cochins they are a trio of smooth and two frizzle hen blacks and have come from pilot mountain descent witch has show quality lines the rooster kinda looks blue to me they are 18 ish weeks old and should start laying anyday I saw the roo mount a fizzle hen I may be showing the frizzle at my 4h livestock show this month please critique on everything good or bad thanks

He is a full blooded Cochin bantam from ideal. He is only 5 1/2 months old. He still has a little chirp to him. He has a lot of growing to do. I'm getting this boy's son. Mrs. Jacki said he is a whole lot better looking than his dad. LOL!

This is when is was younger.
I don't believe these were the birds that CydiChick was referring to. It was a overhead shot of a blue and another pic of the blue and some other kind of Blue chicken that was clearly not a Cochin.

I don't believe these were the birds that CydiChick was referring to. It was a overhead shot of a blue and another pic of the blue and some other kind of Blue chicken that was clearly not a Cochin.

I was referring to this one and saying that I was getting this other ones son.

The boy in the back.

Seem times when they are having respiratory problems the moisture is spread around the face by them swiping their faces on their backs and wings constantly this gets crusty and caked looking. It's kinda gross but if you get the crustose off its nose is it wet under there? If so it is respiratory and denagard at 15cc per gallon for 3 to 5 days, should clear it up.:D

Soooo how do I tell if any of my eggs are 'quiters'? I candled last night, day 8, and saw just a few that looked like there was a red wavey line going around the inside of the egg. And the ones that are still clear by day 10 I should toss out, right?

Back
Top Bottom