Cochin Thread!!!

Does anybody have photos of blue/black Cochin eggs? I'm trying to figure out which are hers so I can incubate them!
Thanks

My eggs are all diferent, based on the hen and not so much the colour of the hen, sometimes they are cream, sometimes slightly pink, even a light brown. As far as i have seen, egg colour is more related to the hen, and not the colour of the hen.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience here, having only hatched a few eggs. I may even be misunderstanding the question, however, what I got from my one hatching experience was black, blue, and splash birds but my eggs really didn't look significantly different from one another.

My eggs are all diferent, based on the hen and not so much the colour of the hen, sometimes they are cream, sometimes slightly pink, even a light brown. As far as i have seen, egg colour is more related to the hen, and not the colour of the hen.

Thank you so much!! I will just have to catch her on the nest then...wish me luck with my ninja-like chicken spying skills ;)

Mostly, my darker feathered girls lay a darker tinted egg and my lighter feathered girls lay a whiter egg. My white bantam Cochins lay pretty white eggs, my MF/Mottled girls lay a tan egg, my MF hens lay a dark white or very light tan egg. Even in the blue project pen, my darker blue girls lay darker eggs than my more white (blue Columbian) colored hens. That is just something I have noticed here and it doesn't always hold true but mostly it does.
I spend way too much time with the chickens! LOL

Well that helps a lot!! I'm pretty sure hers are the tan with spreckles :) and My Dear, there is NO such thing as spending too much time with our chickens ;)

Well that helps a lot!! I'm pretty sure hers are the tan with spreckles
smile.png
and My Dear, there is NO such thing as spending too much time with our chickens
wink.png

It seems with cochins, the egg color is more based on the particular bird, rather than X feather color = Y egg shade. Sometimes you can also tell the difference between their eggs by shape. I marked two of my hens in the same coop with food coloring by their vent last year so when they laid an egg it would put streaks of color on the egg. Once I figured out whose egg was whose by the food coloring, I could just tell by the shape. One hen always laid longer eggs, and one laid shorter fat looking eggs. :)

I don't have a lot of experience here, having only hatched a few eggs. I may even be misunderstanding the question, however, what I got from my one hatching experience was black, blue, and splash birds but my eggs really didn't look significantly different from one another.

Blue +Blue=50% blue 25%black and 25 % splash
Blue + Black =50% blue 50% black
Blue + splash=50% blue 50% splash
Black +Black =Black
Black + Splash= Blue
Splash +Splash = 50% splash 50% "mute" splash

Hope this helps You could genetically get all 3 colors from the same set of parents.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom