Cochin Thread!!!

ANNOUNCEMENT: Funky Feathers Fancy Poultry Farm is closed until 2016. Due to heavy predator losses and too much on my plate. We sold off the remaining birds back in May and tore down all the pens. In the meantime we will be rebuilding from scratch. I will still be a BYC member, but mostly just lurking and observing the progress of my favorite breeds (Splash Cochins & Butterscotch Call Ducks). I will be enjoying my Photography biz, jewelry making and hanging out in nature. Hopefully in 2016 I can acquire some awesome birds that meet or exceed the quality I had.

This is my blue roo. He's a bantam blue Cochin. 15 weeks old. I have his two black sisters and a Wyandotte cross that is mottled brown and white. I'm patiently waiting for my fist egg. My chickens were hatched in my second grade classroom on May 7th. My students loved the hatching process. We candled eggs along the way and watched them develop. The whole school was excited on hatching day!
he is gorgeous! Where did his hatching egg come from?

Is it possible that 15 week old bantam cockerel is fertile? He perfected his dance and "technique" a few weeks ago. I don't want to crack the only hen's eggs that is laying to check for bullseye, I want to collect them for incubating.
I'd like to hear how it turns out if you try incubating them.

Last edited:
ANNOUNCEMENT:    Funky Feathers Fancy Poultry Farm is closed until 2016. Due to heavy predator losses and too much on my plate. We sold off the remaining birds back in May and tore down all the pens.  In the meantime we will be rebuilding from scratch. I will still be a BYC member, but mostly just lurking and observing the progress of my favorite breeds (Splash Cochins & Butterscotch Call Ducks). I will be enjoying my Photography biz, jewelry making and hanging out in nature. Hopefully in 2016 I can acquire some awesome birds that meet or exceed the quality I had.

I'm so sorry for your losses as I have followed with everything that happened. I adored ur birds like I do with other great breeders here. However... I know its gonna be better then ever when ya restart and can't wait to see how everything comes together! A new start just might be what the dr ordered for ya. It did for me this yr as I too did a take down and rebuild of my coop and have add some nice chicks from Amy and Nancy to help improve my birds.
Good luck and again can't wait to see the new "Funky Feathers"

Thank you. :) They were on purina flock raiser, We just switched to Nutrena layer and all flock. They also range in an acre pasture with our alpacas. They only get certain kitchen scraps. Mostly watermelon rinds, cucumbers, fruits and veggies. No meat scraps or starches. They get dewormed when they have them, and I put apple cider vinegar in their water occasionally, and electrolytes on hot days. Gargstar poultry dust for mites and poultry protector when I clean the coop once a week. They have pine chips for bedding and coarse sand in their run. Nothing special really. Just keep them healthy and clean. I think bugs and plants they eat free ranging helps with their feathers. Their eggs have really dark yolks so they are for sure eating more than just chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom