Cochin Thread!!!

Hello everyone! Poultry Show next month if anyone is in the area.

District Meets:
American Bantam Club
American Brahma Club
State Meets:
American Poultry Association
American Langshan Club
American Silkie Bantam Club
Nankin Club of America
Sebright Club of America
Special Meets:
Ameraucana Breeders Club
Belgian D’Anver Club
National Call Breeders of America
Cochins International
International Waterfowl Fanciers Association
Old English Game Bantam Club
Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club of America
Wyandotte Breeders Club

Premium book is ready to be downloaded. Go to https://lebanonpoultryfanciers.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Thank you WendyF, my poor Bluebell is my last Cochin now.

Thank you WendyF, my poor Bluebell is my last Cochin now.
She is very beautiful. It's too bad she lost her friend. Is she bonded well to any of the others in your flock? If you lived near me I'd donate our 11 week old white cochin pullet. She's just hatchery stock, so not nearly as nice as bluebell, but she has a good, even temperament. We went a little overboard with chicken math. Xena has her sweet moments, but she's our most independent bird & doesn't want to be touched unless there are treats involved. I was really hoping for a lap chicken when I chose her, but she is our least cuddly gal. It's funny how there are always exceptions to chicken rules.

Last edited:
My girls are 20 weeks old now. I have 3 LF Cochin girls, and the others are a Polish, Black Australorp (I think), Blue Andalusian (splash variety). Have two EE but they are not as old. I have so far gotten just one egg, last week, and it was very small. I am not sure who laid it and they laid it in the run, not the coop or nest box. It has been almost a week and nothing else has happened. Guess I didn't realize that some breeds of chickens do not lay eggs so much and it is just now hitting me that may be the case here. Can anyone give me insight as to the production of your Cochin? And this is not to say that I will not love these girls because I love them dearly so they will just stay and be my pets no matter what. They are so sweet and beautiful, I can't imagine any other breed that is as wonderful these. Just want to be prepared and boost up my patience in the wait for anything egg wise. I think I will go out and buy a couple of big huge cartons of eggs today.

My girls are 20 weeks old now. I have 3 LF Cochin girls, and the others are a Polish, Black Australorp (I think), Blue Andalusian (splash variety). Have two EE but they are not as old. I have so far gotten just one egg, last week, and it was very small. I am not sure who laid it and they laid it in the run, not the coop or nest box. It has been almost a week and nothing else has happened. Guess I didn't realize that some breeds of chickens do not lay eggs so much and it is just now hitting me that may be the case here. Can anyone give me insight as to the production of your Cochin? And this is not to say that I will not love these girls because I love them dearly so they will just stay and be my pets no matter what. They are so sweet and beautiful, I can't imagine any other breed that is as wonderful these. Just want to be prepared and boost up my patience in the wait for anything egg wise. I think I will go out and buy a couple of big huge cartons of eggs today.
some start laying as early as 18 wks and some don't start until 22+ wks so there is plenty of time yet, and as for the egg being laid in the run, the hen in question may have got taken by surprise, so don't worry i am sure your eggs will start coming thick and fast soon

My girls are 20 weeks old now.  I have 3 LF Cochin girls, and the others are a Polish, Black Australorp (I think), Blue Andalusian (splash variety). Have two EE but they are not as old.  I have so far gotten just one egg, last week, and it was very small.  I am not sure who laid it and they laid it in the run, not the coop or nest box.  It has been almost a week and nothing else has happened.  Guess I didn't realize that some breeds of chickens do not lay eggs so much and it is just now hitting me that may be the case here.  Can anyone give me insight as to the production of your Cochin?  And this is not to say that I will not love these girls because I love them dearly so they will just stay and be my pets no matter what.  They are so sweet and beautiful, I can't imagine any other breed that is as wonderful these.  Just want to be prepared and boost up my patience in the wait for anything egg wise.  I think I will go out and buy a couple of big huge cartons of eggs today. 
I bought a blue Cochin hen about a month ago and she laid an egg in the crate on the way home and usually lays daily sometimes every other day. Yours are just starting out and I have heard that they may not lay consistently at first.

WendyF, thank you for the offer but I can't add any more if I could. Bluebell only comes near for treats as well and hangs out with my Light Brahma bunch. She is also hatchery stock. I got very lucky i think!!It's funny how my one banty cockerel hangs out with them too.

Last edited:
Thx for the info. I know I need to be patient :)
Going to be busy birthing puppies the next week or so anyhow so that should make time go faster. Got two litters of Yorkies due. My nerves will be on overdrive. Arghhh

Back
Top Bottom