Cochin Thread!!!

I am a proud new owner of 2 white bantam Cochins, Bonnie and Clyde! They are my very first chickens ever and we have had them for one week! We are in love :) What are good breeds to mix with Cochins when we get more chickens??

I am a proud new owner of 2 white bantam Cochins, Bonnie and Clyde! They are my very first chickens ever and we have had them for one week! We are in love :) What are good breeds to mix with Cochins when we get more chickens??

Congrats on the new chicks! Awesome pics too! I have some silkies in w/ my Cochins . Cochins have great personalities !!!!

This guy looks like a mixture of colors and breeds. I'm thinking maybe a splash with some red leakage. Maybe autosomal red because of the red on his shoulders, but I'm not even sure about that.

We picked him up at a swap for 2 bucks, he looked to be about 5 or 6 weeks. They said he was a Cochin mix.

I like his markings and want to use him over some Legbar hens that I'll cull from pure breeding and over some Ameraucanas to make some colorful olive and easter eggers.

Hoping someone could give me the beat on his color so I'd have an idea what he might pass on.

Thanks for this info.

@kayla0314 Those are some adorable pictures! Your little guy definitely seems in love with Bonnie & Clyde. I have been told Cochins mix well with gentle bearded and/or crested breeds. You might want to look into Bantams of the following: Polish, d'Uccle, Easter Egger, Ameraucana. Also, I've been told that Dominiques do well with bearded/crested chickens, they & Sultans both don't get very big even though they're Standard sized, and both are generally good tempered towards these gentle birds. I hope I'm steering you in the right direction, as I'm new to chickens, but do way too much reading about them, LOL. Good luck!

I am a proud new owner of 2 white bantam Cochins, Bonnie and Clyde! They are my very first chickens ever and we have had them for one week! We are in love
smile.png
What are good breeds to mix with Cochins when we get more chickens??

I'm not sure why you'd want to mix them. Why not just get more Cochins if you really like them. They aren't really very good at defending themselves, even against each other. Whatever you get, whether it is a different breed or another Cochin, you'll need to be VERY careful about the introduction. Chickens that feel established in a particular location can be extremely hostile toward new chickens, and may even kill them. Believe me, if you bring in new birds and combine them without very carefully introducing them to each other, you'll learn a whole new side about chicken dispositions.

btw, absolutely adorable baby.

Last edited:
We picked him up at a swap for 2 bucks, he looked to be about 5 or 6 weeks. They said he was a Cochin mix.

I like his markings and want to use him over some Legbar hens that I'll cull from pure breeding and over some Ameraucanas to make some colorful olive and easter eggers.

Hoping someone could give me the beat on his color so I'd have an idea what he might pass on.

Thanks for this info.
There is absolutely no way you can predict what this bird will throw. Poultry color genetics are so complex that even if you define what color he "looks" like, you'd still have no idea what he is carrying/hiding. IF he's a splash, you'd at least know there is blue mixed in there somewhere, but you can't even know that for sure until you see his first offspring.

Back
Top Bottom