Cochin Thread!!!

So, I'm really depressed. I've been trying to sell my white bantam Cochin for 6 months now, and can't. Wednesday is the end of the line for him, just can't hold him anymore.
1f614.png
he's so cute too... Gah, the hardships of raising livestock

Did you find him a home or did he end having to go to freezer camp?

This is Esther, she is a cross between a Black Cochin and Ameraucana.

Here is Big Boy, he is a Buff Cochin.

Lola, a Partridge Cochin.

Rachel, also a Partridge Cochin.

We have two other full-grown Black Cochin hens, and Esther's half brother who is a Black Cochin/Ameracana cross. His name is Israel and he is white, like his father.

I would clip him ( butt feathers) and the girls...start checking the eggs fertility every couple days by opening them... I have had a gorgeous albeit sterile roo. He became a farm pet....then sent to live with some else...who didn't care as he was a " good" roo....just shot blanks.

Watch ... Sit in the pen...if the girls avoid him...or if you do get to see him mate...do the hens expel his gift? They can do that ..meaning they don't like him ... I have seen it more than once( 200 hundred or so birds now) we used to have 350. Watch some chicken tv...sit in a chair I. The pen and observe. You will often see the problem.

Okay! Thank you so much! They adore him, he goes to clucking and they run to him. They won't accept my Frizzle Cochin Rooster. But I have no idea about him breeding them or them expelling it. I will have to wait for the hens to stop sitting.

The answer is C more than likely. Pluck or clip feathers around the vent and then the feathers below his vent so that when he mounts a hen the feathers do not block fertilization. On hens you pluck/clip around the vent and up. Press on the cushion to see if him mounting her will cause feathers to block fertilization. If they do pluc more. Many more feathers have to come off of hens than males. My frizzle feathers curl out of the way and I never clip those

Okay thank you! I will clip him and wait for his hens to stop sitting.

Back
Top Bottom