Cochin Thread!!!

Sorry you are having so much trouble, hoping it isn't Mareks, though I have had a few birds with it in the past, it seemed limited to those individuals, so hopefully all the rest thrive. I love blue and blue splash.

Thank you. I really don't think it's Mereks. He injured his leg from a trip or landed wrong from sparring with the black. When I tried to check himover he got away from me and flew then landed very hard on wood floor. He slowly worsened after that.I feel horrid for not having a better hold on him but know he is no longer suffering.

We have all had that moment we wish we could change, I am filled with guilt sometimes, but live and learn is all we can do. Cochins are so cute, which makes it harder I think.

Hello all, new member here. I had cochins (just pets) 30 some years ago and just recently got back into the breed. I picked up a Blue rooster and two White hens last weekend and a Black hen with Brown neck feathers today. Have a question about the color Blue. I see some people talk about Blue chickens and some talk about Self-Blue. I would like to know the difference is and could anyone tell me which Blue my rooster might be from this pic.

Thanks for any help and will probably have more questions as time goes on.

I am really confused on this cochin frizzle/frazzle hen!! She's so sweet ! I have a flock of 16 beautiful standard hens many breeds! Then two bantams one is a mille Fluer and then curly our cochin. She has lost her hair. I know all birds molt. She just seems off! Bad gentics?! I'm not sure. I feed all my hens organic food with seeds, veggies, fruits, apple cider vinegar , flaxseed , coconut oil I feed him scrambled eggs..... Everyone in my birds is really pretty except this one! I do love her dearly don't get me wrong if anybody could give me some advice on what to feed her to have her plummet grow back would be wonderful!
if this is a molt it's been going on for about six months I've just been waiting for it to grow..,,,

Last edited:
She is a frazzle, the feathers break off easy, it's what happens when frizzle is bred to frizzle, I had one, he survived two years, on his second year he was nearly bald, I called him the creepy thing, they will molt like a regular chicken but as I said the feathers fall out and break off easy, not much can be done.

I am really confused on this cochin frizzle/frazzle hen!! She's so sweet ! I have a flock of 16 beautiful standard hens many breeds! Then two bantams one is a mille Fluer and then curly our cochin. She has lost her hair. I know all birds molt. She just seems off! Bad gentics?! I'm not sure. I feed all my hens organic food with seeds, veggies, fruits, apple cider vinegar , flaxseed , coconut oil I feed him scrambled eggs..... Everyone in my birds is really pretty except this one! I do love her dearly don't get me wrong if anybody could give me some advice on what to feed her to have her plummet grow back would be wonderful!
if this is a molt it's been going on for about six months I've just been waiting for it to grow..,,,

To me she is frazzled, not frizzled.
And if she is molting, i doubt her feathers will ever grow properly due to bad genetics.

Hello all, new member here. I had cochins (just pets) 30 some years ago and just recently got back into the breed. I picked up a Blue rooster and two White hens last weekend and a Black hen with Brown neck feathers today. Have a question about the color Blue. I see some people talk about Blue chickens and some talk about Self-Blue. I would like to know the difference is and could anyone tell me which Blue my rooster might be from this pic. Thanks for any help and will probably have more questions as time goes on.
Your boy is blue. Not self blue. Self blue is a lavender which just as it sounds like it looks like a light purple.

Hello all, new member here. I had cochins (just pets) 30 some years ago and just recently got back into the breed. I picked up a Blue rooster and two White hens last weekend and a Black hen with Brown neck feathers today. Have a question about the color Blue. I see some people talk about Blue chickens and some talk about Self-Blue. I would like to know the difference is and could anyone tell me which Blue my rooster might be from this pic. Thanks for any help and will probably have more questions as time goes on.
yours appears to be a blue splash. Self blue is one solid color, blue is when the feather edges are darker, outlining the feathers.

To me she is frazzled, not frizzled.
And if she is molting, i doubt her feathers will ever grow properly due to bad genetics.

She is a frazzle, the feathers break off easy, it's what happens when frizzle is bred to frizzle, I had one, he survived two years, on his second year he was nearly bald, I called him the creepy thing, they will molt like a regular chicken but as I said the feathers fall out and break off easy, not much can be done.
Thank you! She was purchased from the feed store and lays eggs 5/7 days . She likes to go broody but the eggs rarely survive intel hatch date. I feed her better then most people eat. I feel bad cause she's not pretty at all ! We giggle at her. Of course not in front of the kids. We do love her dearly and if every hen was as sweet as her I would be lucky ! She was cute when I bought her! I now breed my own hens. No more tractor store visits. Just Broods
and incubator . Her chicks were cool looking and could fly . My EE Roo got ahold of her but he was pretty gentle . So she will be naked for life? I'm glad someone else called " creepy thing" I felt bad for giggling. I guess you really never know what you are getting unless you do the job yourself ! I will say I love all my tractor store hens that remain in my flock. She's a great kid pet !!

Last edited:
She will grow her feathers back out after a molt, they will just slowly fall or break off over the year, so sometimes she will look better than other times, I do think I remember reading that a frazzle will produce 100% frizzles, but don't quote this old lady brain.

Back
Top Bottom