Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
Are you interested in showing them? They are very cute, but unfortunately don't fit into the exhibition range of type. The cockerel doesn't look too shabby, but I wouldn't use the two girls for breeding if you're trying to get birds to show. They do look like two lovely pets though
smile.png

I am trying to get into show birds and I bought the rooster at a show and his parents were there and I saw his whole little family. I will take notes of that. My cochin flock is definatly UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!! I'm trying to get hens... but not having much luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Are you interested in showing them? They are very cute, but unfortunately don't fit into the exhibition range of type. The cockerel doesn't look too shabby, but I wouldn't use the two girls for breeding if you're trying to get birds to show. They do look like two lovely pets though
smile.png

I am trying to get into show birds and I bought the rooster at a show and his parents were there and I saw his whole little family. I will take notes of that. My cochin flock is definatly UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!! I'm trying to get hens... but not having much luck

I'm with you, Ducky!!!
lol.png

My flock is under construction too!

Quote:

I'm with you, Ducky!!!
lol.png

My flock is under construction too!

It's hard to get started and find good birds. I'm into BBS everything and luckly those are pretty popular varieties

Quote:
They're all adorable!
love.gif

My latest batch of 8 Bantam Cochin chicks will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. I'm starting to look for differences between genders to see what I have now. I have one little guy whose comb is starting to turn pink already - I'd better get them out of the brooder in my bedroom before he starts crowing!
big_smile.png

I'll try to get pictures up soon. Does the rate that they're feathering in indicate gender in Cochins? A bunch of the chicks already have feathers on their shoulders and coming in down their backs, and a few haven't even finished growing in wing feathers yet (one of which is the one that already has a comb much pinker than all the others). I'm thinking that the slow-feathering ones are my boys?

our group of 10 Partridge Cochin Bantams are around 9 weeks old and we are just starting to see the difference between the boys and girls. The boys seem to be getting black feathers around the base of their necks. It looks like we will have 4 boys and 6 girls. They are so mellow and friendly-they will hop into our hands and sit there and they look out for the 3 cuckoo Marans babies that are with them.

It looks like at least one of the 3 Standard Cochin chicks I bought is going to be a girl - which means I get to keep her, YAY!

I have yet to set the roosts in my coop and I wanted to ask in here what is the best height (off of the coop floor) for a roost for Cochins? I read somewhere that they need to be lower than for other breeds.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

right now since ours are only 9 weeks old and bantams, we placed a piece of 4x4 on the ground in their pen and they seem to like it. As they get bigger we'll probably put a raise roost in, we heard that chickens in general like the ladder type roost as well.

Sharing pics of my little cochin chicks! I posted these somewhere else but no one replied.
They are supposed to be the same age, but one is quite a bit bigger than the other. Do you think one is older or do you think one is bantam and one is standard?
How old would you say these two girls (fingers crossed that they are girls!!) are?
IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

and just one more of little Ester...she is my favorite. She is the only chick that will hop right into my hand!
IMG_1229.jpg

AWW!! I love the cochin breed! all of your pictures are awesome!! I am looking for the red cochins, they are about the color of a rir, i saw some over the weekend and I HAVE TO HAVE SOME!! if anyone one has any hatching eggs please let me know and how much u want. pictures would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom