Quote:
ep.gif
that chick is huge!

Quote:
You're right, very exciting however none of those are "common."
Nancy

Thank you Nancy.

Didnt know that, Sorry.

Oh, no problem. That's OK, we all gotta' start someplace, welcome aboard. I think that the fancy needs all the lovers it can get. I think you'll find chicken folk to be very friendly and helpful people, they have been with me.
frow.gif

I have a question regarding Shank color. What does the standard call for as far as shank color on Black, Blue and Splash birds?

i have looked in several sited and all it really states is skin color should be yellow.

I am trying to find out what the true standard is that I should be trying to achieve.

Thanks for any information
big_smile.png

Quote:
ep.gif
that chick is huge!

Definately a big chick, but she's not as big as the pic makes her look. She's not even as big as the palm of my hand. Its all effects. But yeah, when I go and look at the pic, it looks like a HUGE chick!!!

Quote:
I only have the SOP for Bantams; I believe it's the same for LF, but I'm not positive.

Black: SHANKS & TOES: Yellow or swarthy yellow; plumage black.

Blue: SHANKS & TOES: Swarthy yellow; plumage, same as balance of plumage.

Splash is not listed, as it is not a recognized variety for Bantam Cochins. I think, when in doubt, go with Swarthy Yellow. We have had a lot of discussions regarding exactly what is "swarthy" yellow. Definitely not a bright yellow. I think of it more as a dusky, or dull, yellow.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
I only have the SOP for Bantams; I believe it's the same for LF, but I'm not positive.

Black: SHANKS & TOES: Yellow or swarthy yellow; plumage black.

Blue: SHANKS & TOES: Swarthy yellow; plumage, same as balance of plumage.

Splash is not listed, as it is not a recognized variety for Bantam Cochins. I think, when in doubt, go with Swarthy Yellow. We have had a lot of discussions regarding exactly what is "swarthy" yellow. Definitely not a bright yellow. I think of it more as a dusky, or dull, yellow.

Hope that helps.

Thank You

Would swarthy yellow include some gray/black on the tops of the feet and shanks? But the bottoms of the feet are yellow?

Let me qualify first and tell you I haven't shown my birds (yet!), but I'm doing my best to breed to the SOP. When cochinman2005 gets back on this week, listen to what he has to say.

Bottoms of the feet are extremely important; it's very difficult to get Blacks and Blues without a speck or two or three of Black on their toes.

This is what the SOP says under "Disqualifications" (for all color varieties):

"Bottoms of feet showing complete absence of yellow in all varieties - Shanks and toes of a color other than hereinafter described under the particular variety."

Back
Top Bottom