Cochin Thread!!!

While I am here, I have a question. My columbian roo carries his wings lower than I would like him to. I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that if they do not have a chance to fly up to a perch, the muscles that allow them to hold them properly become weak. My roo has never had a perch and does not get a chance to free range. Is it possible to exercise his wings and see if he carries them higher, or am I just talking crazy? Here is a pic of him.

I had a Columbian cockerel who held his wings like that - I ended up having to cull him for other reasons. Anywho, all of my birds were ranging free for at least 4 hours a day at that time, flying up into trees and whatnot, and I have small roosts even in my small 4' wide x 4' deep x 2' 6" tall pens I use for breeding pairs and trios (we just build free-standing perches about 6 inches off the floor with 2"x 2" lumber, and they use them - the birds seem to settle down better in the evenings and develop a healthier daily routine if they have the roost). He had awesome color, I wish I still had him so that I could tell you whether he ever started holding his wings properly or not!
sad.png

Your pictures worked
thumbsup.gif

Very pretty couple ya got there!!
Interesting discussion!
I am trying the new way to post pictures.
Here is a Black Mottled roo that I got to improve the type of my Mille Fleur project birds. This Blue Mottled pullet came with him. I hadn't planned on getting any blues but she is so pretty and sweet. She has has been laying small eggs for about a week now.

Hey Cochinman,

I wanted to share a few pic's of some familiar birds for ya!! They are doing really well and adjusted well also. My husband is so excited to bred that black cockrel he thinks his type is just awesome!! plus he has a spunky personality too!! lol

This one I caught him mid head toss with his wattle flipped up!!! haha

Sorry I stink at pictures but, I still try!

Thanks,
Beth

who did those come from =0

I don't know. I found them at a auction! I couldn't believe it. It is a weekly sale that mostly sells goats. That night there were 5 pair (blues, blacks and these two), all birds of a quality I never see at auctions.They were clean and used to being handled. I'll get more pics posted. The roo is really broad across the front. He is "oldish" but I figured for the price it is worth a try.

Hey Cochinman,

I wanted to share a few pic's of some familiar birds for ya!! They are doing really well and adjusted well also. My husband is so excited to bred that black cockrel he thinks his type is just awesome!! plus he has a spunky personality too!! lol

This one I caught him mid head toss with his wattle flipped up!!! haha

Sorry I stink at pictures but, I still try!

Thanks,
Beth

Nice flock! I love to see them in the snow.

Back
Top Bottom