Cochin Thread!!!

My laptop is in the shop... But here is a link to a pic of my new babies on photobucket. These are from the black hen and black roo.... Blue, right? 4 blue one black?

Beth
i might guess they could be self blue, but without seeing the actual feathers, you can't always go by fluff color i think...

No feathers yet... Still just fluffies.. But oh so cute! What makes self blue? My black roo had blue parents. But no self blue in the mix...
There is nothing you can mix to make Self Blue except Self Blue. No amount of mixing Blues will make Self Blue. A different gene(lavender) is required for Self Blue.

This chart give you the likely % expected of Blue breeding combinations. That explains your Black Rooster

Blue to Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
Splash to Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash to Black = 100% Blue
Splash to Splash = 100% Splash
Blue to Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black to Black = 100% Blacks .

Craig

Last edited:
There is nothing you can mix to make Self Blue except Self Blue. No amount of mixing Blues will make Self Blue. A different gene(lavender) is required for Self Blue.

This chart give you the likely % expected of Blue breeding combinations. That explains your Black Rooster

Blue to Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
Splash to Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash to Black = 100% Blue
Splash to Splash = 100% Splash
Blue to Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black to Black = 100% Blacks .

Craig
but she already said the parents of the chicks are both black... and the only way to get anything even remotely blue from 2 black parents is self blue, since it's recessive, not dominant. unless one or both of the parents are DARK navy blues and not really blacks maybe?

but she already said the parents of the chicks are both black... and the only way to get anything even remotely blue from 2 black parents is self blue, since it's recessive, not dominant. unless one or both of the parents are DARK navy blues and not really blacks maybe?
You said the parents of your Black Rooster were both blue. As far as self blue. It is possible to have F1 blacks from a self blue x Black. Then when the F1 blacks are bred back to each other you would get some self blue 25%, 50% black not carrying the gene and 25% black that carry the gene probably. If the chicks feel are yellow you probably do not have self blue. When in doubt just let them grow up and the answer will come in time.
Craig

I am working on getting the splash accepted. I need some more breeders who have raised splash for at least five years to commit to this. If anyone here is interested in helping, send me am email. [email protected]
A few things still need to be worked out, but looking at a possible presentation in the fall...

I am working on getting the splash accepted. I need some more breeders who have raised splash for at least five years to commit to this. If anyone here is interested in helping, send me am email. [email protected]
A few things still need to be worked out, but looking at a possible presentation in the fall...
I have been working on Splash for 4 years now. Check them out on my website: www.funkyfeathers.com. :)

Back
Top Bottom