Cockatiels??

BobwhiteQuailLover

Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Wisconsin
I need some info on them!

Thanks!!
smile.png

Cockatiels are amazing pets. I had one, and he was my baby! Cockatiels can live up to 30-40 years, they can sing tunes. Somtimes you can teach them to say words but they're better at whistling. My lil cockatiel learned how to wolf whistle, and how to sing pop goes the weasle (every morning!) Cockatiels are very very dusty birds so a bath every other day wouldn't hurt. They also CANNOT see in the dark, and often will go crazy at night time because a toy or somthing may have bumped into them, so night lights are a good idea. Cockatiels noramlly are very loving, and bonding birds. If your only getting ONE cockatiel you need to spend a minimum of 1 hour and 30 minutes A DAY with them, or they may become lonely, depressed and get sick. Also being lonely can lead to feather plucking. Cockatiels are not normally destructive birds. Yea, they CAN destroy things, but I mean they're not like MACAW destructive
gig.gif
tongue.png
hope that helped some!

Last edited:
Cockatiels come in a variety of colors, are very intelligent, can live 30+ years and can make excellent pets.. If you are wanting a pet, I highly recommend finding a breeder who hand feeds their babies. The difference between a hand raised (from a reputable breeder) and anything you will find at a pet store is night and day. I have had and bred cockatiels now for almost 30 years and they are some of my favorite birds. They are a long term committment but are quiet (compared to most in the parrot family), gentle and a lot of fun.

Do find a hand-raised bird if you can. It makes all the difference. Males will talk and are quite the characters. Their antics will have you smiling but they are a bit bolder than the females. Females are generally more quiet and very affectionate. Females are also less brightly colored with duller cheek patches but that isn't always a determination of sex. Some colorations are harder to sex than others. Usually if it's very vocal it's a male.

If you do get a hand-raised baby, please keep handling him. If they aren't handled regularly, they will revert back to being hand-shy.

Cockatiels are wonderful birds. Good luck.

cockatiels are more whistlers then talkers but every bird is diffrent... a handfed bird dose not alwas mean for ever tame somtimes they turn down right mean...but why dont you go to a reascue and say i would like to adopet a tame tiel
tiels are for the most part a good bird for first time owners...they need at least 1 hour of time out a day even though 2+ is better to remain tame...for the most part they love toys and bells, mine love to chew on large pine wood toys (the ones you get for macaws) they can go throw those things in a week or 2 (a lot of chewing for 3 cockatiels) but there really loving. they need a minimal cage size of 21x21x21 for a cage but bigger is better
they need a good seed diet, pellets, fruit, veggies, and grians to maintian a healthy body
tiels are speciel and are alergit to some kinds of medicine because some vets arnt trianed well or say they work with birds but really they dont know that tiels cant hadle those medicins
have fun and do lots of resherch and everything should go fine

Back
Top Bottom