Cockerel extremely lethargic & I need some advice.

Time to learn how to tube feed, IMO.

-Kathy
Well, I bad as I hate to admit it, I think you are right, Kathy. The roo was belly up the next time I checked on him.

This week I have a sick pullet. I went to Tractor Supply & got Wazine. I mixed 1 oz to 1 gallon water. I have her separated but her appetite & diarrhea is getting worse.

Can you recommend a source for learning how to tube feed? Whenever we ask local chicken keepers how to treat anything, they all recommend a soup pot - not exactly helpful.

Well, I bad as I hate to admit it, I think you are right, Kathy. The roo was belly up the next time I checked on him.

This week I have a sick pullet. I went to Tractor Supply & got Wazine. I mixed 1 oz to 1 gallon water. I have her separated but her appetite & diarrhea is getting worse.

Can you recommend a source for learning how to tube feed? Whenever we ask local chicken keepers how to treat anything, they all recommend a soup pot - not exactly helpful.
Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
I am available by phone to help if you can get the supplies needed.

-Kathy

Kathy, I have found the tubes online. I have orpingtons down to cochin. So maybe an 8 & 12 size tubes? What are some other supplies I should keep on hand? I know syringes and gloves and the bird feed. I have corid already and wazine. I ordered ivermectin. Is there a general antibiotic I should keep on hand? Sulfa treatments? I get free shipping with a $50 order so now is a good time to stock up.

The chickens I lost had such generic symptoms that it could be a variety of things. I read several of the articles in the learning center and am no closer to a solution. I was thinking treat them with the ivermectin when it arrives. Give them a nutrient supplement. Post gargoyles, paint some eyes, perform a rain dance, burn some sage and, sacrifice a goat. Just kidding. I don't have goats.

My vet was very sympathetic but told me a most kindly manner that in the end it's just a chicken and not an investment like a dog (guess we know what pays his bills). But my chickens make me so happy & evidently they feel the same about me, their monetary value does nothing to alleviate my sense of responsibility.

I use nothing smaller than a size 18 on all *but chicks and baby birds*. The tubes are cheap, so get one of each different size if you can afford it. My favorite tube lately has been a size 30, 'cause it allows plain turkey starter mixed with water to be used instead of baby bird food, but until you get used to tubing I would suggest using the 18 and baby bird food.

As for wormer, there is a study that shows ivermectin an ineffective wormer in poultry, so I would use Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste or Albendazole.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom