Cockerel legs buckling, crouching, losing balance

BridgettePardo

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
Arkansas
hi all, my 3-4 month old Easter Egger (we think he's a cockerel but not 100%) has developed a very strange gait. It is almost like his legs are buckling out from under him. He sits down to eat and drink, and will take a few normal steps but not many before his legs seem to "go out." He is eating and drinking, and is alert. No discharge or other symptoms. He was not vaccinated for Marek's to my knowledge, I got him and the rest of my flock at around 10 weeks old from a local breeder. Please help! Thank you in advance!
IMG_5816.JPG
IMG_5817.JPG

I would suspect Mareks, especially if it continues to worsen.
That's what I'm so worried about...I isolated him, he's in a dog kennel in the garage with food and water. At what point should I cull him? Is there anything I can do for the rest of the flock? No one else has symptoms yet...Should I alert the breeder? I've only had them for 3 weeks.

Mareks is considered to be everywhere. I see it occasionally in a chick here and there. I haven't had multiple cases at one time, and I've lost only a handful to it in the last decade. It's said to sometimes be triggered by stress.

Most bird build up an immunity to it, a few get the tumors, and generally should be culled to remove a potential carrier. I will wait a week or two to see for sure if it continues to worsen.

I personally don't separate them out unless they are being bullied. If one has it they all have been exposed.

It's your call to tell the breeder. Generally they say it takes 6-8 weeks minimum from infection to symptoms, though birds can show symptoms at any age past 6 weeks, so it probably came with it. It's possible they might replace it or they may blame you depending on who you are dealing with.

don't be too quick to blame.
the roo might have picked up something from
your flock that they are immune to, but he was
not..
it might be something in your soil that lingered from previous chickens years ago.

if it is cocci, he won't last for more than a couple of days.. there is no cure that I ever heard of..

off hand it sounds like rickets.
try feeding him raw apples..

I personally don't separate them out unless they are being bullied. If one has it they all have been exposed.

It's your call to tell the breeder. Generally they say it takes 6-8 weeks minimum from infection to symptoms, though birds can show symptoms at any age past 6 weeks, so it probably came with it. It's possible they might replace it or they may blame you depending on who you are dealing with.
Thank you so much for replying! I've read that some vitamin deficiencies can mimic Marek's...is there anything I should give him? Do you think I should put him back with the flock?
don't be too quick to blame.
the roo might have picked up something from
your flock that they are immune to, but he was
not..
it might be something in your soil that lingered from previous chickens years ago.

if it is cocci, he won't last for more than a couple of days.. there is no cure that I ever heard of..

off hand it sounds like rickets.
try feeding him raw apples..
Oh no I wasn't blaming them! I just didn't know if they needed to know since it's so recent. These are my first chickens ever and they all came from that breeder. I guess it could have been in the soil like said! I didn't think of that. Thank you so much for your suggestions- I'll try apples!

Thank you so much for replying! I've read that some vitamin deficiencies can mimic Marek's...is there anything I should give him? Do you think I should put him back with the flock?

Oh no I wasn't blaming them! I just didn't know if they needed to know since it's so recent. These are my first chickens ever and they all came from that breeder. I guess it could have been in the soil like said! I didn't think of that. Thank you so much for your suggestions- I'll try apples!
I don't know. I know others will suggest vitamins but I'm not familiar with how much or even what kind. It certainly is worth trying. Hopefully someone more familiar with vitamin usage will pop in a give a suggestion.

I would put him where he's less stressed.

I'm sorry to hear your cockerel is having issues. I believe Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte/Vitamin supplement is one of vitamin preparations suggested by members in the U.S. I believe rooster booster may be another one.

http://savacaf.com/products/sav-a-chick-electrolyte-vitamin-supplement/

It appears to come in handy mix packets for one gallon mixes from the information on their website. I'm not familiar with Sav-A-Chick but generally instructions say to mix fresh daily. I'd break that packet down into lesser amounts because the cockerel won't drink a gallon of water per day. Hopefully someone else is able to give you further information. @Wyorp Rock

Below is one of the deficiencies. If you scroll down the left side of the site, there is a list of deficiencies that you can read about.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/

Last edited:
Go to your feed store and look for Poultry Cell vitamins and give 3 ml per day orally. Other brands may be put in the water or food, just read the label, and make sure that they contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) I have used Poultry Booster in feed, Vitamins With Lactobacillus, ans SaveAChick, all brands you may find. A cheaper alternative would be to give 1/2 of a vitamin B complex tablet for humans, crushed into some egg or yogurt daily. Just make sure there is riboflavin. Mareks could be a possibility, but injuries and vitamin or mineral deficiency should be ruled out.

Go to your feed store and look for Poultry Cell vitamins and give 3 ml per day orally. Other brands may be put in the water or food, just read the label, and make sure that they contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) I have used Poultry Booster in feed, Vitamins With Lactobacillus, ans SaveAChick, all brands you may find. A cheaper alternative would be to give 1/2 of a vitamin B complex tablet for humans, crushed into some egg or yogurt daily. Just make sure there is riboflavin. Mareks could be a possibility, but injuries and vitamin or mineral deficiency should be ruled out.
Oh good! Thank you that info. I don't know your brands etc. Sav-A-Chick was the only thing that came to mind...lol.

Back
Top Bottom