Cockerel looking pullet

This one is a little over 5 months old, she didn’t get the long tail feathers like her brothers and I thought that was a little odd she wasn’t developing the same as them or posturing like they do but the eggs proved he’s actually a she! The boys combs are even larger and brighter than hers but she does have a very well endowed and bright comb. I’ve never had what I thought a cockerel start laying eggs, they usually are just late bloomers but always still a cockerel until now
I can promise you that he is a boy. NOT a girl. He is not laying eggs.

These are the hens, one got taken by a predator there are 7 now

Attachments

• 2FCD6DBC-B639-44A6-9BF5-1F69242C9721.jpeg
    2FCD6DBC-B639-44A6-9BF5-1F69242C9721.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • FA6E8A57-AAB0-4929-A2A7-EA87A4E92935.jpeg
    FA6E8A57-AAB0-4929-A2A7-EA87A4E92935.jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 18
How old?
I see vague hackles but the saddles still look round and hen like. Is it crowing, mounting, acting roostery?
She doesn’t crow or mount but she will raise her hackles and play fight with the other young cockerel she came with, he hasn’t crowed yet or tried to mount either but my roosters don’t like them around their hens, the roosters and other hens will let her roost and eat with them but they always keep the other cockerel on the outskirts

A lot of people add golf balls or ping pong balls to the nests so they get the point, you might have to show them where.
I have ceramic eggs, one in each nest. So far I’ve only found the chalky new eggs outside so I’m hoping that locking her in the cage might also rectify that issue and hopefully her body will adjust to laying and not add that extra layer of calcium

I have ceramic eggs, one in each nest. So far I’ve only found the chalky new eggs outside so I’m hoping that locking her in the cage might also rectify that issue and hopefully her body will adjust to laying and not add that extra layer of calcium
She is definitely low on the pecking order so her leeriness to the other hens pecks might be keeping her off of the nests also, she might feel safer in the cage and once she’s forced to lay there she may continue and then at least she’d be laying in the coop and not out on the ground… we’ll see what happens

Back
Top Bottom