Cockerel looking pullet

Csteffennsam

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2021
I have what I thought was going to be a cockerel now laying eggs! She has very shiny and pointy feathers, no big sickle feathers but definitely saddle feathers and she raises her hackles and plays with the other young cockerel, has super thick legs but just started laying eggs

Attachments

• A2437FDC-C244-43B9-8F87-F9AAE146AA87.jpeg
    A2437FDC-C244-43B9-8F87-F9AAE146AA87.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 36
Definitely looks like a boy to me. If you want to be sure it’s laying eggs just put it a large crate in the coop for 1-2 days. If it lays an egg you have a very odd looking hen. If not you have an odd looking or very slow developing cockerel. I’m voting cockerel though based on what I can see in that pic

I have ceramic eggs, one in each nest. So far I’ve only found the chalky new eggs outside so I’m hoping that locking her in the cage might also rectify that issue and hopefully her body will adjust to laying and not add that extra layer of calcium
New layers take a bit to get their cycle figured out. They don’t always seem to realize when they are about to lay an egg. I’ve watched several mine drop an egg without even stopping walking. They usually sort it out in about a month or less

It looks like that your chicken may turn out to be a hen. I also have a almost 3 and 1 week old Speckled Sussex chick whose tail is super high and started to curve and have shiny green feathers but than 'her' comb should be way bigger if 'she's' a cockerel and I am very confused.
This one is a little over 5 months old, she didn’t get the long tail feathers like her brothers and I thought that was a little odd she wasn’t developing the same as them or posturing like they do but the eggs proved he’s actually a she! The boys combs are even larger and brighter than hers but she does have a very well endowed and bright comb. I’ve never had what I thought a cockerel start laying eggs, they usually are just late bloomers but always still a cockerel until now

Definitely looks like a boy to me. If you want to be sure it’s laying eggs just put it a large crate in the coop for 1-2 days. If it lays an egg you have a very odd looking hen. If not you have an odd looking or very slow developing cockerel. I’m voting cockerel though based on what I can see in that pic
That’s a great idea, I have a big parrot cage in the coop so I can easily separate if needed, so I’ll do that and let you know what I find

At 5 months, I think that's a pullet, laying (voila! mystery egg) or soon to lay. but you can also give her a time in the parrot cage to see if she is a she.
I think I will put her in the cage, mainly so I don’t have to hunt down that egg outside everyday lol! When do they figure that part out?

Back
Top Bottom