Cockerel looking pullet

It looks like that your chicken may turn out to be a hen. I also have a almost 3 and 1 week old Speckled Sussex chick whose tail is super high and started to curve and have shiny green feathers but than 'her' comb should be way bigger if 'she's' a cockerel and I am very confused.
This one is a little over 5 months old, she didn’t get the long tail feathers like her brothers and I thought that was a little odd she wasn’t developing the same as them or posturing like they do but the eggs proved he’s actually a she! The boys combs are even larger and brighter than hers but she does have a very well endowed and bright comb. I’ve never had what I thought a cockerel start laying eggs, they usually are just late bloomers but always still a cockerel until now

What breeds do you have? It's not unusual for some high production breeds to lay twice when they start out.
My other hens I was told were RIR but I think they may be something else… they are 2 year olds and very consistent. I’ll post a pic of them

This one is a little over 5 months old, she didn’t get the long tail feathers like her brothers and I thought that was a little odd she wasn’t developing the same as them or posturing like they do but the eggs proved he’s actually a she! The boys combs are even larger and brighter than hers but she does have a very well endowed and bright comb. I’ve never had what I thought a cockerel start laying eggs, they usually are just late bloomers but always still a cockerel until now
I can promise you that he is a boy. NOT a girl. He is not laying eggs.

These are the hens, one got taken by a predator there are 7 now

Attachments

• 2FCD6DBC-B639-44A6-9BF5-1F69242C9721.jpeg
    2FCD6DBC-B639-44A6-9BF5-1F69242C9721.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • FA6E8A57-AAB0-4929-A2A7-EA87A4E92935.jpeg
    FA6E8A57-AAB0-4929-A2A7-EA87A4E92935.jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 18
Definitely looks like a boy to me. If you want to be sure it’s laying eggs just put it a large crate in the coop for 1-2 days. If it lays an egg you have a very odd looking hen. If not you have an odd looking or very slow developing cockerel. I’m voting cockerel though based on what I can see in that pic

Definitely looks like a boy to me. If you want to be sure it’s laying eggs just put it a large crate in the coop for 1-2 days. If it lays an egg you have a very odd looking hen. If not you have an odd looking or very slow developing cockerel. I’m voting cockerel though based on what I can see in that pic
That’s a great idea, I have a big parrot cage in the coop so I can easily separate if needed, so I’ll do that and let you know what I find

How old?
I see vague hackles but the saddles still look round and hen like. Is it crowing, mounting, acting roostery?
She doesn’t crow or mount but she will raise her hackles and play fight with the other young cockerel she came with, he hasn’t crowed yet or tried to mount either but my roosters don’t like them around their hens, the roosters and other hens will let her roost and eat with them but they always keep the other cockerel on the outskirts

Back
Top Bottom