cockerel or pullet? how to tell

Its hard to see the lower tail feathers with his patterning, but I think you have a boy. Looks like there are some longer, looser saddle feathers near his rear.
smile.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

The bird in the foreground of your pic is a rooster. I'm not looking so much at comb and wattles (although they are significant) but rather at the pointed saddle (back) feathers and the "sickle" tailfeathers.

Given his age, I'm a bit surprised that he isn't crowing yet.

I have been able to tell around four weeks by their feathering! The male's backs will be just about bare and the "wing bows" are naked, but the pullets will be pretty much feathered out. The comb usually has a bit more pink on it than the girl's do, too. I've been able to tell 1st by the comb and then confirmed by the feathering. Good luck... you only have a couple of more weeks before you can tell. I'm not a good judge on the tail feathers, however some people are!

Here is the excerpt from another thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=162401

Edited to add: Ha! I didn't realize Gritsar had posted on this already! Gritsar has posted a lot of useful information, I've used the infomation above to accurately determine that I have had *way* more cockerels than a person should ever have! Thanks!

goodpost.gif

This is VERY helpful information for me, too! I'll be using these "tell-tales" in a couple of weeks for my own, straight-run Australorps...And biting my nails in anticipation in the meantime! lol So, thanks in advance to Gritsar and Jennie5193!

Great info. I wish there were pictures to go along with it tho showing the differences. Im on my first batch of chicks and Im still not sure what all the names are for their body parts lol. Like the wing bows.

Back
Top Bottom