Cockerel or Pullet?!

megb3rt

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2021
This is my 3 week old barred Plymouth Rock chick, Jo. This is my first group of day old chicks that I’ve gotten and from the beginning this one has taken the role of group leader and has been more assertive. But I’m more curious about it because of the comb, bars, darker/more orange leg color and the spot on its head. Just curious what others who have experience with these guys think. I’ve attached a picture of one of my pullets from the same purchase (Salem) as well just to show why I’m suspicious of this one. 😂

Attachments

• D38DCC47-BFC5-4919-B7B9-3CD6AA9CC04C.jpeg
    D38DCC47-BFC5-4919-B7B9-3CD6AA9CC04C.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 15
  • A73E433F-A4B7-45B1-8AFE-C5F3CBAF19A6.jpeg
    A73E433F-A4B7-45B1-8AFE-C5F3CBAF19A6.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 8
This is my 3 week old barred Plymouth Rock chick, Jo. This is my first group of day old chicks that I’ve gotten and from the beginning this one has taken the role of group leader and has been more assertive. But I’m more curious about it because of the comb, bars, darker/more orange leg color and the spot on its head. Just curious what others who have experience with these guys think. I’ve attached a picture of one of my pullets from the same purchase (Salem) as well just to show why I’m suspicious of this one. 😂
The first one is a cockerel and the second one is a pullet.

And yes, male Barred Rocks tend to have lighter barring than females.

I’m glad to see I’m not crazy. First one (red band) was the one I was suspecting. There’s another one in my flock I’m also keeping an eye on but it’s really shy and passive so I’m not completely convinced just yet. It’s smaller than the others as well.

Back
Top Bottom