Cockerel wheezing??

Chickens :)

Songster
Feb 2, 2018
Australia
Hello everyone, over the last week I have noticed my 5 month cokerel has been occasionally wheezing. When I pick him up he wheezes but eventually stops and same when I go into his cage. He doesn’t really like to be held and I have been trying to train him so he becomes more friendly. Is he wheezing from stress of me holding him or does he have a respiratory illness I need to address? It is also summer here so we have had a few hot days so maybe that is affecting his breathing. Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thankyou

It is hard to know exactly what is causing it, especially if he has no obvious symptoms such as watery eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, or any swelling of the face. It could be environmental or due to coop ventilation, the heat, or things like mold or wet bedding. Some chickens can suffer from a respiratory disease, aspergillosis from mold spores, and it can spread through the air sacs to most of the body. He also could have some swollen tissue in his airway that increases the wheezing when he is handled. Unless he develops more symptoms, I wouldn’t worry too much. Here is a list of common diseases including the respiratory ones with symptoms if you want to do some reading:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It is hard to know exactly what is causing it, especially if he has no obvious symptoms such as watery eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, or any swelling of the face. It could be environmental or due to coop ventilation, the heat, or things like mold or wet bedding. Some chickens can suffer from a respiratory disease, aspergillosis from mold spores, and it can spread through the air sacs to most of the body. He also could have some swollen tissue in his airway that increases the wheezing when he is handled. Unless he develops more symptoms, I wouldn’t worry too much. Here is a list of common diseases including the respiratory ones with symptoms if you want to do some reading:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thankyou so much. He has no other respiratory symptoms at all but I will keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom